𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞. 𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒚 𝒃𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒉𝒅𝒂𝒚

𝑬𝒍𝒆𝒏𝒂 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒂

𝑬𝒍𝒆𝒏𝒂

Lina sits at the kitchen island, her sketchbook placed in front of her as she holds her pencil in her hand. I have to admit, it's good seeing her like that again.

Seeing her draw quietly like she used to. Maybe it's a good thing she and Damon broke up.

Again.

She sighs when I come over and hug her, kissing her on her head, "How are you feeling?"

She doesn't respond though and she instead just continues to sketch in her book. I sigh and squeeze her reassuringly once more before walking over to the coffee machine. I grab the two coffee mugs and glance back at my sister, "Coffee?"

She looks up from her book briefly, "Sure."

Jeremy comes from downstairs, "Coffee is just what I need," he says.

Lina looks up and meets his eyes, "Shouldn't you be at work, Jer?"

"He will be," I say as I pour the coffee into the mugs, "Right, Jeremy?"

"Yes, Elena," he sighs and sits next to Lina. He smiles at her, "Happy birthday."

Lina's face scrunches up, "Oh, please. Don't remind me."

I hand her the cup of coffee, "Caroline insists on throwing a party for us. A small gathering."

"Yeah, when Caroline says she's having a "small gathering" for our birthday, run far, far away," she jokes, "I do have to meet her for something today, though."

"Have fun," Jeremy calls after her as she heads up the stairs with her coffee in hand.

***

"What are you two doing?" I ask Caroline on the other line.

"Just shopping for the party you two are trying to bail out on."

I walk down the stairs and go towards the kitchen, "I never said yes in the first place."

"No, but Lina did," Caroline replies.

"Yes, and do I regret getting free clothes out of it as well? No."

"I knew that you were never going to which is why I planned it anyway. And my mom wants you to call her."

"Did she find something?" Lina and I ask at the same time.

"An animal attack in Memphis. It's the third one this week in Tennessee."

"And it's a vampire, right?" Lina asks.

Lina asks this just as Alaric comes into the kitchen to make coffee.

"Yes, but that doesn't mean that it's Klaus," Caroline says.