𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞. 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒃𝒂𝒄𝒌

𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒂

𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒂

Lina and Kol lie side by side on the grass, their bodies still tingling from their passionate swim in the lake.

The night sky is clear, and the stars twinkle above them, casting a soft glow.

Kol turns his head to look at Lina, his eyes filled with adoration. He admires her as she lays half-naked, staring up at the stars above her. A smile creeps up on his lips as he brushes some of her hair to the side and behind her ear.

She turns her head to look at him, "you're gonna make me throw up," she says.

Kol chuckles, "Why?"

"You're being too romantic," she says.

"Too romantic?"

She nods, looking back at the stars, "Yes."

Kol sighs, looking away from her as well. "I'm just admiring you. You know, we've been through so much together. I never thought we'd end up here, lying under the stars, just the two of us."

"Do you feel guilty?" Lina questions, looking back at him.

Kol meets her eyes and his smile falls. "Guilty for what?"

"You're alive now, but at what cost?" she asks, "the Lina you knew is long gone. And for what? For some centuries-old murderous vampire to get a second-- sorry, third chance at life?"

He looks back at the sky, not able to look into her eyes any longer. She's right. He does feel guilty. He feels guilty that he of all people had to be Lina's soulmate. She was just a girl. A seventeen-year-old girl when he bombarded her life. And now, she's permanently altered all because she loved him. He wishes that someone else, anyone else, could've been her soulmate if that meant that Lina would be happy.

"Yes, I do," he admits.

Lina laughs, "Really? Why?"

"You shouldn't be this way because of me, Evelina. If it weren't for me, you would still be close with your sister, you wouldn't have turned into a hybrid. And most importantly, you'd still be the girl I knew before."

"I agree," she says. "But Humanity Lina was weak and pathetic. She gave up her humanity for you. She let the love she had for you get in the way of what was truly important—herself. So, don't blame yourself for what happened."

"Humanity Lina is you, Evelina."

She shrugs, "Not to me. I would never do what she did. Never in a million years."

Kol's expression softens as he listens to Lina's words. He reaches out to gently cup her cheek, his thumb brushing against her skin. He looks deeply into her eyes, hoping that a shred of Lina's humanity still remains and that what he's saying will reach her. "I'm sorry, Evelina. I never meant to hurt you. I never wanted any of this to happen."