𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞. 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒉𝒆𝒓

𝑲𝒐𝒍 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑬𝒍𝒆𝒏𝒂

𝑲𝒐𝒍 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑬𝒍𝒆𝒏𝒂

*** one month after bonnie, damon, and lina's "death"

"Are you kidding me?" Kol asks the girl in front of him. "You're not serious, are you?"

Elena nods, a desperate look in her eyes, "please," she pleads. "I... I can't go on like this."

Kol narrows his eyes and crosses his arms, "why would you want to erase her from your memory?"

"Why wouldn't you?" Elena rebuttals. "I've tried, Kol. I've tried to grieve normally. It didn't work. I tried to use those magical herbs but I can't keep doing that. Nothing works. I need to forget them to move on. Or at least remember them as bad people."

Kol just stares at her in shock. He understands the pain she feels, they're both mourning the loss of Lina. It's only been a month since she 'died' but still, moving on feels hopeless. Though, he knows he won't ever be able to. She's his soulmate. He can only hope that somewhere down the line, she will be reborn as another person. 

But for now, he's here living in pain and despair. And there's a girl, who has Lina's face, asking him, no, begging him to erase Lina from ever existing in her memory. Lina, who loved Elena more than anything and would pick her over anyone. Lina, who despite everything, forgave her sister and killed herself out of guilt over her sister's death. And she wants to erase that?

"So, what, you think I compel Damon and Lina away and all will be well?" he asks. 

Elena nods, "Exactly."

He scoffs. "She's your twin sister and Lina loved you, Elena."

Elena looks down, balling her hands together in her lap. "I know," she whispers tearfully, "I know... I've never had to live without Evelina before, Kol. When she was in her coma, she was still here, I could still see her every day. I had hope that she would wake up. But now... now she's gone and she's never coming back. And I can't live with that hopeless and empty feeling forever.

"And what if she comes back?" Kol asks, more so saying it out loud for himself rather than her. 

Elena shakes her head, "she won't." Kol sinks back in his chair at this and hesitantly, Elena reaches over and places her hand over his comfortingly. "I knew Lina better than anyone. We've been joined at our hips for our entire lives. And yeah, we've gone through ups and downs but... she's my sister. And I know that she truly loved you, Kol. Lin has a tough exterior, but on the inside, she's a big softie. She chose to go down on the other side out of guilt. Not because she wanted to leave you or me. But because of what she was battling on the inside." 

Kol's heart aches at Elena's words, sorrow and longing swirling within him. He gazes into her eyes, seeing the same pain reflected back at him.

"I just... I can't," Kol murmurs, his voice barely above a whisper. "I can't erase her, Elena. She's a part of me, a part of who I am just like she's a part of you."