114 Remorseful M/F - Sophia's POV

There's a bonus chapter between this and the previous chapter that you can read on Ream if you'd like! It's linked in my bio.

🌷

Each minute of waiting increases the tingling nerves all over my body and tightens the knots in my tummy, reminding me that my punishment is imminent and inevitable.

You guessed it; the fun weekend is behind us, and the day of doom is here.

It's 8 o'clock in the morning, and Sebastian has sent Zander and Oliver, both freshly caned, to isolation, and called me to come out. I drag my feet out of the isolation room to take my impending punishment - to suffer the plimsoll. I can't think of a worse beginning to the week. Despite the unpleasant start, I'm not too resentful of this particular punishment.

We were very nasty to Ms Bell, and although she is becoming a bit of a bitch, she didn't deserve that much scathing disrespect. She has received earnest apologies from us, too, which she accepted. Well, Zander didn't apologise. He is refusing to do so. The charm and sweet comments he showered Ms Bell with have dried up. He primarily spends the science classes staring coldly at her and muttering vitriol about her when she isn't listening. I'm not sure why that is since he told me he'd get too angry if he explained the grounds to me. I didn't delve deeper into it after that response.

I flinch at the first thud.

He puts a hand on my back, gently but firmly lowering me into the correct position again without saying a word. Or maybe the burn from the blow absorbed all my focus and blocked him out. It's been a while since the last time the rubber sole of it crashed on my ass. The respite from it has been nice, and I wish I had savoured the time more. And I wish I didn't underestimate how powerful this slipper is - the swats are too sharp to ignore and provoke pathetic whimpers - because it cost me an extra swat for flippancy.

''Pull your tights down,'' he articulates commandingly.

I sense a blush creeping up my cheeks hearing his words. ''Okay, sir.'' My response is barely audible. I inhale deeply, trying to steel myself for the surge of humiliation that will come with this.

''Good.'' He taps the slipper on me but only one time, and for that, I don't get to staple my lips together.

The gasp escaping when the next hard swat hits me doesn't exactly ease the humiliation. There isn't a big difference in pain levels between the tights and no tights, but I'd say the humiliation is bad enough. The other bad thing is, that a punishment like this where you are genuinely remorseful tends to feel worse. It's not only the physical pain and embarrassment you have to endure. You have to bear a load of guilt on top of that. Feeling embarrassed can be dreadful - excruciating even. But feeling truly ashamed is worse.

Listening to Zander laugh gloatingly from isolation adds anger to the unpleasant mix of emotions tied to this punishment. Sebastian acknowledges Zander's obnoxious manners, telling me to ignore it with the promise of dealing with him later. He gives me a few pats with the slipper, and I seal my lips tightly in preparation.

At this point, I've made it through two-thirds of it, and I will make it through the last few. I applied my usual technique to cope with the pangs and burning aches from the start - curling my toes inside my shoes and balling my clammy hands on the desk. I've taken the same number of swats on my bare bottom as Sebastian likes to phrase it. Personally, I'd rather die than pronounce those cringeworthy words.

Anyhow, now, I got the first onslaught on the seat of my tights, and the last upcoming few over my knickers - full coverage for once. It is well within my capacity and endurable, though it doesn't feel like it at the minute. The pain is vicious and roams through my legs, the remorse lingers, and my eyes sting with the threat of tears, but it's manageable, and I won't burst into tears here and now. I may have a good cry at home, instead.

My lips I have so forcefully pressed together to mute myself open up, beyond my control, for a squeal at the last swat. I didn't want to make any noise because Zander is a heartless bastard who will bully me all day, and Oliver's profound empathy for his dear ones will make him mourn.

''I bet that was more energising than your morning coffee.''

Is it even a punishment if Sebastian's wry comments; aren't there to trigger you to backchat or give you a dose of embarrassment?

His voice sparked off yet another flush in time for me to rise. Grunting, I scramble to push myself up from the desk, my tucked skirt falling over. I fumble with my sagging tights while he marches to the cupboard to return the ghastly implement. By the feel of it, my complexion has most likely turned beetroot and better be kept facing down, and not be put on display. ''If I say no, will I get another coffee now?'' I ask with the tiniest tinge of cheekiness in my tone.

''No, you can get another coffee on your next break.''

Sighing, I nod and follow him as he guides me back to the isolation room.

Sebastian locks his eyes with Zander. ''If you mock Sophia the slightest throughout the day, I will tell your father,'' he admonishes him.

''And what's he gonna do, sir?'' Zander scoffs. ''He's not gonna swing a cane at me like a priggish old teacher.''

''Exactly,'' Sebastian enunciates crisply.

A few moments go, and Zander's face takes on a look of realisation that is laughable, and his cocky attitude regresses into a sulky child who's been told off. ''I will tell Mum Phia's bullying me then,'' he huffs.

''And what's she gonna do to me when Michael said she's not allowed to lay a finger on me?'' I try to give off a stoic impression, sitting down at the table. Let me tell you; the task of keeping my smirk is not simply achieved as the throbbing burn is exacerbated by the wooden chair.

Sebastian shushes Zander, breaking up whatever argument is about to arise. He repeats the humdrum instructions for the day before leaving us to languish in isolation. But at least we have each other. That makes a big difference. Oliver's good-humoured personality always brightens things, and teasing Zander is dangerously entertaining.

''Did you accidentally bite Holling's nipples this morning that might've had consequences on his mood?'' Oliver pipes up and smiles cheekily at me.

All of us, including Zander, crack up and boost the dismal atmosphere with vigorous laughter. You know what they say, laughter is the best medicine.