96 Supercilious Toad - Sebastian's POV

When Alfie said that we were going to a book fair in Austria with Alexander, I did not expect to arrive at a castle in the middle of nowhere belonging to a friend of Alfie. I expected something entirely different - like a modern hotel with perhaps a spa and then walking through a beautiful, wintry city to an exhibition venue where the book fair would be. I did not expect us to bring anybody else, especially not someone as annoying as Alexander's father and that grandbaby he always has with him. As well as half of Alfie's grandad club and their spouses.

The imposing place doesn't lack books and literature at all, and it's book fair-ish but not in a way I prefer. The grandson of the castle's owner is Alexander's old schoolmate, and I feel as if I've been following, as well as being continuously ridiculed by Oliver and Jasper on a school trip these past few days, though Oliver and Jasper have never bothered me by being obnoxious nobs. Or slammed doors in my face out of pure viciousness. I did not expect Alexander to be so easily influenced and turn into a toff after merely a welcome drink.

''Oi, Head boy Sebastian!'' Alexander's joshing voice prods me to look up from a text conversation with Sophia. He leans against the threshold with a scornful smirk, practically begging to be slapped off his face. ''...Don't call me that,'' I say curtly.

''You'd make an excellent Head boy,'' he sniggers and saunters into my bedroom. ''You have the personality, looks and intellect for it. And you're a bit of a sadist.''

I shake my head, showing him a disapproving look as he approaches my bed. He either doesn't notice it or cares because he takes the right to drop on my bed. ''Get off my bed,'' I articulate.

Mumbling, ''Sorry,'' he pushes himself up and shuffles to the armchair before my bed. Next to a coffee table lit up by a lantern on the wall, presenting a pleasant view of the neat stack of new books that I will bring home tomorrow. ''...Sitting on a Head boy's bed would be a no-no.'' He plonks down in the armchair, spreading his knees much wider than necessary, and would usually sit.

''Widen your knees a notch more and your crotch will rip,'' I deadpan.

He scoffs, ''You would like to see that, ha?''

''Yes, I'd love to see you ashamed,'' I reply and shift my focus back to my phone and Sophia. ''Your bedroom is next door.''

''I'm not tired, but I imagine it's Sophia's bedtime."

''She's getting drowsy, yes."

''Who's dealing with her nappies now? Is it Michael who's burdened with the dirty work?'' he sneers.

I look up at him coldly, watching his disdainful laughter die off - after an offensively long moment. ''Don't you have Zander to check on?''

''Zander said Sophia has been pestering him, and when he stood up for himself, Michael got angry with him instead of her,'' he tells me accusingly.

''And do you really believe that?'' I question. ''Zander has been an indecent bully and tormented the sisters since he came.''

''She slapped Zander, but no one blamed her!"

''Because he's been divulging her private matters and playing with her new underwear like a bloody oaf,'' I snarl.

"She is ridiculous and rather repulsive in her ragged jumpers and diapers, and thick, hardly interpretable backchat. She's asking for it. You can't deny that, Sebastian," he scoffs, his nasty little smirk growing back on his face. ''Don't you get tired and disgusted by her unduly dependency, which really is just sloth and self-importance, and all her peculiarities?''

I regard him with a blank expression for a silent moment, waiting for his snicker to fade. If he hadn't been behaving like a wazzock recently, I'd wait for him to add that it's only a vile joke. ''...I'm disgusted by your attitude. Your friend is like venom to you and vermin to the rest of society.''

"You've been creeping behind us the whole time like an aloof git. You should be grateful that we let you fraternise with us. If this was back at school, you wouldn't be allowed to even sit at the bench next to us because you are–" he stops himself abruptly, gulping. "...You know what you are."

"Does he know that you live in an old caravan at a shambolic farm, owned by a disadvantaged family, together with your boyfriend, who is a former convict and comes from a lineage where poverty, criminality, addiction, mental illness, abuse and dysfunctional families are standard? Or does he believe you've enslaved the fifth woman you imported from an impoverished country like him?" I ask without emotion. "Humble yourself, Alex."

The ashamed look I'd love to see flashes on his face for a second, but the supercilious mask returns as fast.

"It's none of anybody's business," he snaps. "You don't even care about her slapping Zander!''

''I would've slapped him, too, if he was twiddling with my underwear and jibing about my intimate life,'' I admit. ''I would've slapped you if you were within reach now.''

''I think one shouldn't be so easily offended when they know they engage in risible, skanky behaviour. Freaks get bullied - that's since the dawn of time. Zander and I shouldn't get castigated for abiding norms,'' he spews. ''It surprises me how that unsavoury brat even has the audacity to snap back when she humiliates herself so profusely at home–"

''You are humiliating yourself in public, Alexander.''

I range my eyes over to the door, never having been so happy in my life to see his father. George reveals his ordinary mischievous grin to me, holding up a book. ''Book delivery for Sebastian from Alfie!'' he announces and chucks it to me.

''Thank you!'' I pick up the book and notice it's the one I kept on my wishlist going here but not found yet. I thought I'd go home sadly without it.

George strolls up behind Alexander's chair, Alexander shrinking in his seat as his father splays his hands on the armrests. ''What are you on about, Alex?''

Alexander's snigger has moved to me, watching his cheeks obtain a pink hue while he delays an answer to his dad's question. ''...Alex is offended since Zander was told off by his father for plaguing Sophia,'' I fill in.

''No, I was asking a few questions and bantering,'' Alexander says.

''I'm never going to bring you on a trip again when you–''

''Alfie invited me!'' Alexander twists his head back in a huff to look at his dad. ''You didn't even know we were going until a couple of days ago when you invited yourself. You don't even read books.''

''Do you think Zander talks to his father like that?''

''Yes, and I've heard him telling that reprobate worse things,'' he sneers.

''And what happened to him?'' George asks, and Alexander turns his face back to me, looking like a question mark. A blushing question mark. ''...He went to prison."

Alexander scoffs, ''Are you sending me to prison, Dad?''

''There are old cells in the basement here. I can take you to one of those and let you sleep next to the skeleton of the poor sod who tried to steal food for his starving family on the filthy floor tonight,'' he says. "We will bring your friend downstairs, too."

''You can't do that! You can't even say those horrific things to your child!'' Alexander says, his tone being uneasy and his blush flaring.

''It will be a humbling experience,'' George remarks.

''A traumatising, abusive, inhumane crime,'' Alexander gainsays. ''I can't believe you said that, you psychopath.''

''Do you remember that time you bullied little Ollie on holiday like 15 years ago, and you said I ruined your entire life?'' George cues. ''Something similar will happen again if you carry on being a toad.''

''Where does the audacity come from, Dad? You're the biggest child around!"

I observe them quietly from my bed in the corner, stifling the laugh Alexander's crass attitude provokes.

''That arrogant ass of a friend has always been a bad influence on you,'' George notes reprovingly. ''Merely his haughty tone makes me want to wring his neck.''

''What happened when he bullied Oliver?'' I wonder, glancing at Alexander, whose cheeks stay florid.

''Ask Oliver when you come home. He will be delighted to tell you the story."

"I can't wait until Monday then," I smirk at Alexander...