Chapter 65: care enough

Grian's POV:

I checked my emails. Then I realised Tommy Trusser had an orthopaedic appointment this afternoon. With those boys safe and happy living with the Watson family, I'd not checked in with them as much as I should have done. I felt guilty for letting them down.

But I was free this afternoon and decided that attending Tommy's appointment would be a good chance to understand more about what had been going on with them. I called Phil.

"I'm really sorry Grian but I can't talk right now?"

"Oh, sorry. Is Kristin free?"

"Yep, I'm just at a job interview. Kristin's totally free though."

"Okay."

"Got to go."

"Good luck!" I ended the phone call and sighed. I hoped it hadn't ruined anything by calling.

After finding Kristin's number, I called her.

"Hi Grian, is everything okay?"

"Yea, sorry I just called Phil and he was at a job interview. He did say you'd be free to talk though?"

"Yep! What's up?"

"Nothing bad, I promise. I just noticed I'd starred an email about Tommy having a doctor's appointment later?"

"Yep, he's getting fitted for some insoles to help with his tiptoe walking."

"Oh okay. Well I was wondering if the offer was still open for me to attend."

"Uh yea, of course it is. Is everything okay? Is this a check in of sorts?"

"No, no, not at all. If I'm honest with you Kristin, I've been emailing Tubbo as a check in of sorts and he's been saying how amazing things have been. I heard about Wilbur, I hope he's feeling okay and I also heard about Techno having a possible brother. Sounds like you all have been very busy recently."

"Yes, definitely."

"But I realised that I hadn't been checking in with Tommy and that it was important. So I was going to come down and attend the appointment with you guys and then come back to the house and have a chat. We've got a couple things to run through about the adoption too. Would that be okay?"

"Sounds great. If Phil's job interview finishes in time, it will be him taking Tommy to the appointment. And if not, it will be me."

"Okay. Well just call me to let me know."

"Yep, will do. See you later Grian, thanks for checking in!"

"No worries, see you later."

I ended the call, placed my head in my hands and sighed.

A co-worker asked if I was alright and I nodded, trying to look as smiley as possible.

Time skip:

I stood nervously in the waiting room. There was a kid in the corner who was crying and I felt it was wrong to take a seat when it was so packed already. Eventually, I saw Tommy coming down the corridor. Followed by Phil who was holding his backpack and trying to keep up with him.

"Hey Grian," he said, shaking my hand.

"Hey Phil, nice suit." 

He laughed, "thank you, and thanks for being here."

"No worries, I should have got in touch sooner."

"Well I know Tubbo keeps you well-updated."

"Yea and he does a very good job of it, but Tommy shouldn't have to rely on him for that."