Chapter 60: crying and shouting

James' POV:

I woke up early, hoping to get the house tidied a little and breakfast made before any of the boys woke up. But I realised I'd failed miserably as soon as I heard talking downstairs.

"Morning." I mumbled, smiling at Techno and Tor.

"Oh morning." Tor said, sipping a hot drink, "would you like a tea or coffee?"

"Yea a tea if you don't mind. Thanks." I paused, looking at Techno, "you're up early?"

"He's been up all night. When Tommy is awake, I'm sending him up to bed."

"You didn't sleep?!"

"Sssh, Tubbo is still sleeping," the teenager reminded me, trying to deflect away from his own situation.

"Yes, like you should be." I said. Tor looked like he wanted to step in but didn't.

"I couldn't. I just couldn't. And then Tor turned up and we talked."

"And the talking was good. I asked him if he was tired, he wasn't. I'd rather someone be with him than him just lying in his room." I nodded in response and took the mug from him.

"When Tommy's up, I'll take him out and leave you both to sleep."

"No, I'll take him out," Tor protested. "He liked going on a run with me; we can do that again. If that's okay, I mean?"

"Of course it is. He'd love to go on another run with you."

"Cool. Techno, I think you should go get my sleep."

"Not until he's up."

"No," Tor started.

"Neither of you are my parents. You," he pointed at Tor, "might not even be my brother!" Then he turned to me, "and you! You just turn up to look after Tommy, you can't tell me to do anything!"

"You're upset, I understand. But I suggest you take a break." He looked at me, eyes full of anger and fists clenched. "Techno, don't do something you'll regret, just go stand out in the garden for a bit."

"Don't tell me what TO DO!" He swung for me. His fist connected with my jaw and I stumbled back. By the time, I'd opened my eyes again and come back to reality, Tor had moved him outside. 

"NO!"

"Techno, you have to calm down."

"STOP!" He swung for Tor, but he was a much better fighter than I was and stopped Techno from hitting him. The elder tackled the younger to the ground and I ran out to try and help. I was useless of course. 

"Leave me alone!" Techno cried out, beginning to sob.

Tor released his hold on him and they slowly stood up from the floor together. "I-I-I."

"Don't feel like you have to talk, don't worry." Tor said, rubbing his shoulder in a comforting manner.

"Let's go upstairs, I'll bring Tommy out. You need sleep."

He nodded and followed me up the garden, stimming with his hair by running fingers up and down the back of his head.

When we got up there, Tommy was awake and really upset. I picked him and Zog up and took them downstairs. Techno shut the door behind me and I heard him flop onto his bed.

"Tommy, ssh, ssh, it's alright." Tor took him from me, and I made sure Zog wasn't left behind. I quickly went in to check on Tubbo. He was somehow still asleep, and I left him to it.

"Tom, how about some breakfast?" I asked the tearful boy as I went back into the kitchen.

He was still crying, but sat at the breakfast bar with Tor, looking at the iPad together.