Chapter 57: the call

James' POV:

I woke up to a call from Phil. It was around 3 am on the monday morning. I'd spent the whole day with Tommy, dealing with his new spiderman jumps and giving Phil a chance to get things sorted around the house. I was supposed to be there on Wednesday and Thursday, but I'd had to cancel because my grandma had had a health scare and I had to drive all the way down to Kent. She's fine now but when I walked into the Watson household this morning, I couldn't help but feel guilty.

Techno let me in and stood impatiently in the hallway in his judo kit. "Dad, James is here, he can sort it. If we don't leave now, we are going to be too late."

"Yep, I'm coming. James, can I call you to explain whilst I drive?"

"Uh yea." I said, getting my phone out the pocket of my shorts. It was a lot warmer today than it had been for a while.

"Great thank you."

I went inside, putting my bag down in the hallway and putting my shoes next to it. Tommy was sat in the armchair with Wilbur. The elder was trying to calm him down, so I moved over quickly but trying not to scare him.

I encouraged him to take deep breaths and he was a little calmer. By which time, Phil called me.

"Hey mate, sorry to leave you like that. Is he calmer now?" Wilbur took his puffer, trying not to disturb Tommy, who had now crawled around him.

"Yea, Wilbur and I have calmed him down."

"Okay. Umm so yea. It's hot out, I thought it might be a good idea to use the paddling pool. I totally forgot Tommy has got a real thing with hoses and just got it out in front of him. He freaked, rightfully so and I got angry with myself which scared him. I tried to calm him down, but I just scared him more."

"Right okay."

"We've had a busy couple days. Tubbo had a migraine, he's alright now though. I think he's probably still trying to fill the paddling pool up. But Wilbur has got a chest infection, I think. I've tried to get him a doctor's appointment but there was no availability. We've got to watch him quite carefully because he gets quite unwell. And then Techno has been at judo camp and my mum couldn't come over and help."

"It sounds stressful Phil. Are you happy for me to leave Tubbo and Wilbur home alone while I take Tommy on a walk?"

"Can you wait until I'm back?"

"Yea of course."

"Tommy's not eaten either."

"Oh sorry, he's normally up so early and hungry so early, I just assumed."

"Yea, it's fine. I was up later than I should have been and there weren't any eggs. He wanted scrambled eggs."

"Why don't you pick some up on the way home and just take a moment?"

"Yea. Thanks mate."

"In the mean time, I'll just chill out with the boys and see if I can find something else for him to eat."

"That would be amazing. Thanks James."

"No problem."

"Right then, see you in a bit."

"Bye."

I clicked the end call button and slotted my phone back in my pocket. "Morning Tommy, want a hug?" He nodded, chewing on his finger. I would find a chew for him in just a minute. "Alright then, there you go." I pick him up, off Wilbur, still surprised at how light he was, and carried him upstairs to his bedroom.

He sat in his tent, happy that I was sat next to him and we just took some time to chill out before Phil got back. What I wished I'd realised then, was that this calm and sombre Tommy was going to last all of 30 minutes. And once breakfast was eaten and the paddling pool was sufficiently filled without Tommy seeing: the rest of the day was going to be hectic.