Chapter 35: meltdowns and cereal

Phil's POV:

I got Tommy back in the car and put his seatbelt on. He squirmed and pulled and tried to bite me. Gently, I held both his hands and looked at him calmly, "deep breath." I took a deep breath myself, knowing how much I needed it too. "And another," I said, hoping if I just kept going, eventually he would copy me. Over and over, I kept doing it, until his hands relaxed in mine and I watched him do a little one. "Good boy, well done, and again..." He followed along with me and tears began falling from his eyes. 

Techno handed him Zog and Zog's friend and got into the car, sitting next to him. I noticed a red mark on the elder's cheek and felt overwhelmed with what we would have to talk through this evening. At least Tommy was calm for now. I took off the red ear defenders slowly and replaced them with his headphones that now played his fish video. He reached a hand out for me as I went to close the car door. I held it and let him pull me in for a hug. "There you go mate, all done now."

The drive home was quiet. It was as if breathing the wrong way might make something bad happen and everyone was nervous. We couldn't help Tommy being the way he is, but I wasn't comfortable knowing that I was letting that environment happen so I started a conversation.

"Well done on those tracks Tubbo, they were awesome!"

The young boy smiled and looked at me hopefully, "thanks."

"I'm super proud of you, especially for keeping that song a secret."

"I didn't even know about it!" Techno exclaimed.

"I'm proud of you too for acting so professionally with that guy Tech."

"Thanks Dad," he replied, "Tubbo did you want to put one of your playlists on?"

"S-s-sure."

"You've just got really cool music taste." Tubbo blushed at the compliment and I could feel the three of us relax again.

Time skip:

I opened the door and Techno went in first, piggybacking Tommy inside. Tubbo followed me in, having pushed himself up the ramp.

Kristin was no where to be seen, so I guessed she was still dropping Wilbur off. Techno had put Tommy in his armchair and was busying trying to find something in the toy cupboards. I began unpacking the backpacks in the kitchen and Tubbo was in his room doing whatever he wanted.

I looked at the time and realised that because of the traffic we were past bath time. A part of me wondered whether it would be too much to shower/ bath or to have the change of routine of not doing it. "Mate, do you want to go to bed or shower and then go to bed?" I asked him. He held up one finger right as Techno handed him a plastic dinosaur.

I left my eldest and youngest to the own game of dinosaurs whilst I got everything ready upstairs for Tommy to go to bed. We'd washed his bedding and not had a chance to put a new set on before we left, so I did that quickly and tidied up slightly so that he would actually be able to walk around his room. 

The fairy lights and nightlights were on. His book was on his bedside table with a fresh bottle of water and his new dinosaur bedding was on. Techno carried him up the stairs and offered to read his book with him. After getting him ready, I left them to it and went down to check on Tubbo.

The door was open, which was unusual. I found him crying and came at a lost of what to do. "Mate?" He whipped off the headphones and wiped his face quickly. "It's okay to be upset." I sat on the sofa and he wheeled himself over before sitting himself down next to me. "Oh we don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

"I w-want to-to-to."

"That's alright too. What would you like to talk about?"

"Is he o-o-o-kay-ay-ay?"