Chapter 58: the hospital

Wilbur's POV:

I couldn't breathe. One minute, I'm lying there, in my bed, thinking that I might need to use by puffer. Next minute, I realise that no air is getting in and I'm punching my bedroom wall, hoping it might wake someone up.

It was Techno that came in first. "Wilbur? Wilbur, what's wrong?" I tried to speak but all the came out was a wheeze. "DAD!" He came closer to me and shouted for dad again. "It's alright." I reached a hand out for him and he held it and squeezed it which I knew he didn't like doing but it made me feel a bit calmer.

All I knew was that I couldn't breathe and it was hurting and I felt dizzy and everything was going blurry and fuzzy and then there was nothing.

Phil's POV:

By the time I'd got out of bed, grabbed my phone and run into Wilbur's room: he had passed out.

"Tech mate, it's fine. I'm going to call the ambulance." I placed a hand on my eldest son's shoulder and dialed 999.

"Hello, is the patient breathing?"

"Yes but it's not good and umm-"

"Okay and is the patient conscious?"

"No."

"Okay," I heard typing, before the call operator spoke again, "what's going on?"

"My son, he's umm, he's got a history of chest infections and lung scarring, I think he's got another one. His breathing is really bad and he uh, passed out."

"Okay, I'm sending an ambulance to you now. Just stay on the line."

"Okay. Tech, can you go check on Tommy please?" Techno hesitated and looked up at me nervously, his face only just visible in the light coming through the door from the hallway. "It's fine."

He nodded, looked at Wilbur, gave him a hug and went off to Tommy's room.

"Hello, are you still there?" The guy on the phone asked.

"Yea, sorry."

"That's okay. You said your son had a history of chest infections, when was his last one?"

"Umm, god, Wilbur," I stroked my sons forehead, just the way he was breathing was killing me, "it was last winter I think. October time."

"Okay, and what happened there?"

"He was hospitalized, umm, I don't remember."

"That's okay. The ambulance will be there soon." 

"Thank you."

"It's okay. Would it be helpful for you to hang up to call someone now?"

"Uh maybe."

"Childcare or a significant other?"

"Yea, yes, oh god, I do." I couldn't think about my wife right now. She didn't need the stress it would bring her. The boys. Someone needed to stay with the boys.

"Okay, well I'm happy for you to end this call to call someone."

"Thank you." I ended the call, almost without thinking and called James immediately.

"James?"

"Phil, is everything okay?" There were sirens outside now, must have been the ambulance coming down the road.

"Wilbur couldn't breathe. I had to call an ambulance." I couldn't help myself from crying, the relief of the ambulance being there, Wilbur being so sick in front of me.

"I'm leaving now." He said.

"Thank you, just thank you."

"It's alright. I'll keep them safe." I trusted him and ended the call as I heard the paramedics shouting outside.