Chapter 33: anticipation anxiety

Tommy's POV:

Phil struggled and eventually managed to slip my feet out my trainers. Yesterday, at the hospital the doctor said because I walk funny they are going to give me things for my shoes like what Tubs has. But not the bit that goes up my legs, just the shoe bit. It made me nervous. What if I didn't like the way it felt or it hurt?

But Phil kept telling me we didn't have the insoles yet and that until we did, we didn't need to worry about what they would feel like. He said I was allowed to be upset, but that everything was going to be okay. Dad never told me stuff like that.

I waved goodbye to all of Wilbur's friends and their families; it was time for my shower (I think showers and quicker than baths and it gets me more reading time) but everyone was still hanging out in the garden. At first, I was a bit upset because I wanted to keep being with everyone else. Wilbur's friends are fun and they are nice to me and we were bouncing on the trampoline. But I was getting really, really tired and I wanted to read.

"TE!"

"Mate, when we talk, we can use a quieter voice. People can still hear us and sometimes shouting can make people feel sad."

"Yea."

"Good boy, Tech, he wanted you to read with him?"

"Yea, course. When should I come up?"

"Give us twenty?"

"Okay." Techno went back to talking to Tubbo. They had brought Techno's laptop out and were showing all the parents the social media pages. With everyone's permission Techno had officially created the profiles for the band and posted the first picture. It looked really cool. Tech was really good at making pictures, and taking them. But he makes them too. He changes all the ways it looks and makes it even better.

"Alright mate, if I get the bathroom ready can you get your pajamas?" I half-nodded. I was tired and it sounded like what he was asking me to do required actual effort. "Go on then mate," he lead me into my bedroom and went across to the bathroom.

I pulled out the drawer under my bed and knelt there: making my decisions about what I wanted to wear. I never chose when we lived with Dad. Tubs would just get me changed into the pajamas after the bath and I'd wear whatever he chose. We didn't have a lot of choice back then either. I have a lot more pajamas now, and most of them have dinosaurs on them. I picked a new pair we had gotten for summer. Navy shorts and a t-shirt with a big t-rex on it.

"You picked yet mate?" I went to find him, pajamas in my outstretched arms. "Good job mate," he took the pajamas from me.

Time skip:

"Tech, he needs to sleep."

"One more chapter." Phil sighed, looked at me and then nodded. "And I'll put him to bed, I need a break from socialising so it all works out."

"Okay then mate, Tommy, love you lots, see you tomorrow." I waved and immediately returned my attention back to the pages of the book in front of us.

"You're welcome for getting you a later bedtime." Techno said once Phil was out of earshot. I rested my head on his shoulder and relaxed, just listening to him read and letting my brain go all quiet. "Tommy?" I lifted my head up. "Are you looking forward to watching Wilbur tomorrow?" I nodded and waited, it felt like maybe Techno didn't actually want me to answer his question but I didn't know. "That's good. There's going to be lots of other good bands there too, you know, 'cause it's a festival."

"Yea."

"And you can take breaks if you need to."

"Yea."