Chapter 38: to do list

Mumbo's POV:

I waited for Techno to pull off the driveway in his driving instructor's car before reversing onto it and pulling my big boxes out to the porch. Phil had warned me that today had been Tommy's first day of his drama camp and he wasn't sure how much energy he'd have for our session this evening. So my goal was to either focus on what he was doing at the camp or to just bringing out new things whenever he lost interest. And if he really wasn't up for it, that would be okay too.

Wilbur opened the door, "I'm going first today."

"Oh okay! Do you mind taking the other side of this box."

"Sure." He smiled and I readjusted my backpack.

Phil gave a small wave as he went past but he was running up stairs and didn't look as if he had time to chat. Wilbur and I paused so that he could open the back door, "oh, did you want a tea or coffee?"

"Don't worry about it."

"No, it's fine. I'll put the kettle on now and then I can come up and get it whilst you unpack. And, do you have your guitar with you?"

"I do, would you like to focus on guitar today?"

"Yea? If that's okay?"

"Of course it is. Is the front door still open?"

"Yea, well it's not locked and Tubbo is just in his bedroom so he can help."

"Okay, let's just get this box down there."

"Yep, but uh, tea or coffee?"

"Oh tea, please." We laughed and managed to get the box down the garden. I dropped off my backpack too and then walked with Wilbur back up the garden.

"Did you want milk, sugar?"

"Just a bit of milk please thanks."

He showed me some tea bags from the cupboard, "these okay?"

"Yep! Your dad buys them especially for me."

"Sounds like Dad." He mumbled.

I went to the front door and fumbled with the lock. I had been to this house for years now, and this front door still completely stumped me. There was some shouting from upstairs and I tried my best to ignore it; it wasn't my place to say anything. Knocking lightly on the sliding door, I jumped slightly when Tubbo nearly immediately opened it from the other side.

"Hey, do you mind opening the front door for me, I'm kind of confused."

He simply nodded and wheeled past me to open the door. "Help?" He asked.

I thought for an uncomfortably long second. "Umm, yea, I've not got my ukulele out yet, I was going to get it later, but do you feel comfortable bringing it in?" He nodded, wheeling himself out the door, down the ramp and to my car. I got out the guitar and the ukulele, handing the latter to him and following behind him as he made his way back into the house. He brought it as far as the kitchen, where we met Wilbur and before I'd had a chance to say thank you, he'd handed it to Wilbur and gone back to his room.

I must have looked confused because Wilbur said, "he can't get down there, to the music room, in the wheelchair, he has to use the crutches because the path isn't flat enough. And he is half way through perfecting the mix on one of Lovejoy's new covers. And well, you know why he's quiet."

"Right, got it. How did that festival go by the way?" We launched into talking about it and I loved hearing it all. Then Wilbur showed me a few of the videos they'd gotten. I'll be honest, I'm not sure how much guitar we learned/ practiced that session. But I am sure that he needed that time to talk about the thing he was really proud of. And at the end of the day, I know Phil and Kristin would prefer Wilbur gets the chance to talk than bottle it all up than know two more chords.