Chapter 37: drama camp: day 1

James' POV:

I had already been into the school that morning and dropped my bags off in the adults only space which was just an empty classroom. I'd been to look at the quiet space (another empty classroom) complete with sensory toys and bean bags. Then I'd visited the dance studio, sports hall and toilets. I would need to be the one in the know when Tommy got here.

The drama camp took place in the PE department of a local secondary school, although not the one the Watson boys would all be attending in September. There was also a little viewing area that overlooked the sports hall which I'd been told by the lady who ran the camp was where parents arrived a little before the end of the day and watched the kids for the last half an hour; which seemed sweet.

Phil was dropping off and picking up Tommy and Beau, so it was my job to just be there a bit before drop off and take Tommy in for the day. He'd been through the welcome pack, but as Phil said this was really a trial run for school. We had absolutely no clue how he was going to react.

For the week, they'd all learn two songs (one they'd sing like a choir and another like a musical theatre number with dancing) and a scene. Then on Friday afternoon, they'd perform to the parents. It seemed like a really nice set up. 30 kids in total, aged 7 to 16 and I was one of three one-on-one's. I'd met one of the others this morning, but the third was coming with their kid. And apparently there were other disabled kids that didn't have one-on-one's.

Phil walked into the main hall, holding Tommy's hand and with Beau walking next to them. She seemed more nervous than Tommy. I waved and walked over to say hello. "Morning James," Phil said, letting go of Tommy's hand so he could give me a hug.

"Morning Tommy!" I said, squeezing the young boy tightly. "And morning Phil and Beau too."

"Morning." Beau said, swinging around her lunchbox.

"His backpack has got everything he's normally got but we've put the iPad charger in there and a change of clothes just in case. He's got his lunch box and he seems ready to go so..." Phil was hesitant to leave.

"Sounds great Phil, we are going to have an awesome day!"

"Yea. Yea, well, bye Tommy, see you later mate." Tommy was busy watching the other kids running around. There was a game of 'stuck in the mud' in full swing. "Tommy?"

"Tom, Phil is going, can you say bye?" He looked over, offered a small wave and then began dragging me over to the other kids. "Bye Phil!" I called out, "we'll see you later." Phil nodded, and walked away, still obviously very nervous.

"Where do we put our bags?" Beau asked.

"Good question, see how they are lined up against the wall over there?" She nodded, "that's all we've got to do."

"Oh," she smiled, skipped over, dumped her lunchbox and ran off to join in with the game. Tommy looked at me with a grumpy expression.

"Hey, you can play too, you just need to put your bag down over there." I was beginning to realise that the sports hall was very echoey and might be too loud for him. He seemed okay as he out his bag down and ran back over to me.

I did my best to explained 'stuck in the mud' but got the strong impression he was more excited about just running around: so I let him loose.

And 20 minutes later, when everyone was there and we were ready to get started, he came and sat down cross legged right next to me, along with everyone else. They explained the plan for the morning and with the help of a sensory toy I'd pinched from Tommy's backpack whilst he was playing 'stuck in the mud', he sat still the whole time, listening.