Day Twenty - Merlin 2

Uther's life hung in the balance thanks to the efforts of Morgana. Arthur raced to find some way to make him better before he lost his father. He took Merlin to outside of the city and then stopped.

"So of all the places to stop why here? I din't see anything around to help with your father." Merlin turned as Arthur pulled out a Camelot cloaked then hung it up on a pole before setting it on fire. "What are you doing?"

"Calling for help." he then buried a piece of parchment and then walked away. That night he waited in the woods but there was no sign of catherine.

"Your highness." A deep voice rumbled behind Arthur who spun around in a little state of shock. "You requested a audience."

"Your not who I was expecting." Arthur commented and the man smirked

"Catherine, made the choice to leave Camelot for a reason. She decided her efforts were needed elsewhere." the man replied "I am Uthred. What is your business with the order?" Arthur cleared his throat.

"My father is dying. I'm told that the order is well versed in such practices that could prevent that." Arthur explained "I came to ask for help."

"I'm afraid your pleas for assistance will fall on deaf ears with our...collective. No one here is a sympathiser of your father." Uthred shrugged

"But the order is suppose to help people, you can't just do nothing and watch a King die." Arthur exclaimed.

"Kings die all the time, this is nothing new. As for helping people, we help those who can't help themselves. Usually those who your father torments whether the are magic or not." Uthred retorted "Catherine voiced to me that after discovering who she was, that she warned you. We protected you because we believe you have the ability to be a better ruler. That courtesy does not, nor has it ever extended to Uther Pendragon. You're on your own." Uthred walked off and Arthur went to follow him but lost him.

----------------

Uther died with no help from the order and a blocked attempt by Merlin is disguise. Arthur was now King. He looked over his fathers dead body where there were small footsteps. Arthur looked up seeing a little girl.

"What are you doing here, child?" Arthur wondered

"My sister told me to bring you this, and to show you my wrist." The girl who couldn't have been older than seven, handed him a note and then showed the raven mark on her wrist. He immidiatly knew who she was reffering to. "She also said not to be so predictable. Bye now." the little girl skipped away. Arthur unfolded the note and read it over.

The clearing before sunset.

he ripped up the note and threw it into the fire. If he had gotten this not before his father had died. he would have gone without a second thought. But now that he was gone, Arthur felt like a new person, he was anew person. He was the King. And the King just couldn't sneak off to meet someone.

__________________

Yet here he was in the clearing where they had first met up when he didn't know who she was, before he figured out that the seamstress and the woman who saved his life were the same person. His head told him that this was a bad idea, that nothing she could say or do would change the fact that the order refused to help his father live. But his heart daud something else. It longed for the woman he had irreverably fallen for in shuch a short time. Who had him the minute she walked into that hall and they began dancing with one another.

"I didn't think you would come." Catherine voiced making him turn around. He visably relaxed upon seeing her.

"You said not to be predictable. Reason tells me that i should have ignored your note." Arthur replied as Catherine came closer.

"Then why not listen to reason?" she came to a stop right in front of him.

"Because ever since I came to your workshop before the winter ball, you have captured my heart. I can't live like this, I shouldn't have to." He let out a deep nasal breath as his fingers traced down her arm.

"Yet those are the lives we lead." she muttered taking his hand "What have you done to me?"

"What do you mean?"

"I have spent my whole life near you, watching you, protecting you. I did what I was trained to do, and yet the moemnt you look at me like that, when you speak to me like that. All of it goes away. You kiss me and I am under your spell. I have ran away, avoided speaking or seeing you and yet you will not leave me alone."

"Is that why we are here?" the two stared at one another

"You ask for something impossible. You make me want it as well. Why have you done this to me? I need an answer."

"Let me know when you find it." he commented making her laugh and step away covering her face. "What? What's the matter?" he questioned concerend

"This, all of this. I couldn't handle it anymore. I couldn't take not seeing you, when I have done every single day for 15 years. For 15 years I have been right there in the shadows and now I am stuck at a camp where everyone is judging me for something i cannot control." she stressed

"Then leave. Come back to camelot with me. Right now. Let's just go." she groaned in fustration

"i've already told you. I can't. Don't you get it? Don't you listen?" she huffed "The order is all I have ever known. They saved me during the purge, raised me and when I was old enough I pledged my life to them. To the order and to the greater good. It gave my life purpose to know that even though my parents were dead I lived for a reason." she began to cry

"You can still have that reason. Catherine." he took her hands

"How can I? The people are still persicuted for having magic or helping those who do. Or even suspected, a rumor is dangerous one wrong mistep and you could lose your life. How can I leave them helpless."

"By being Queen." she scoffed "No, listen to me. You can teach me so much, the council even more. You can be at the heart of changing Camelot for the better. Advise me on law changes. Stand before the people and the order and say this is a differnet way to help. We work together." she still looked hesitant.

"Come with me now, Catherine. Don't hesitate, for once don't let your head rule your heart. We both know now that this has not worked, that being apart hurts us more. Trust me. Come, come with me now." She battled with herself

"Will you marry me, Catherine."

"Catherine!" she gasped hearing members of the order call for her "Catherine!"

"They're here."

"Come with me now. Let's go. Quickly." the two rushed off to Arthurs horse andhe helped her up and mounted himself. The two watched as the order came into view and then galloped off.

"Catherine!" they shouted as the left and returned to Camelot.

___________________

Catherine accepted Arthur's proposal and Arthur wasted no time in having a wedding arranged. Catherine nervously glided down to Arthur in a gold and red gown. Arthur smiled seeing her then took her hands and kissed them in reassurance. She relaxed a lot more as they spoke thier vows and their hands were bound together for a moment.

"I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss your bride." Arthur and Catherine smiled and turned to one another and kissed.