Day Twenty Four - Queen Charlotte

Princess Mariana was the 16th child of Queen Charlotte and King George . She was their last and favourite child, much to her older siblings dismay. It was Christmas and the 17 year old was being dressed for the festivities. She sighed glancing at herself in the mirror.

"You make a loud sign of discontent." Queen Charlotte committed entering her daughters bedroom.

"It is the same discontented sigh every year dearest Mama. We have had the same discussion every year. I do not wish to spend Christmas with my siblings. You say I must and then I reply with what I do every year. they cannot stand me and they cannot stand that i am your favourite. After some back and forth you resign to the fact that they are just jealous and that they will grow out of it when they never do.

We will attend, they will glare and make snide comments. Then you will finally give in and let me have Christmas dinner with Papa and join us later. Can we not, just skip to the eventuality and cut out the awkwardness." Marian voiced and at the back of the Brimsley smiled thinking about how much the youngest Princess was like her mother in almost every way.

"No" was the simple answer. Mariana sighed and smoothed out her dress and then dismissed her ladies. She then turned to her mother.

"Fine, lets get this over with." she sighed again and took her mothers arm. The two of them headed into the dining room. There the rest of Mariana's siblings waited. They gave their respective greetings towards their mother.

"Children." she nodded to them. Charlotte and Mariana took their seats, the latter sitting next to her mother. "Happy Christmastide."

"Happy Christmastide mother." They all replied. Mariana glanced at her siblings then back to her mother. dinner was served and the siblings began to talk to one another as Mariana sat there quietly.

"Have you seen her? How old does she think she is, five? She is the same age as mother when she married Papa" Frederick loudly muttered

"That's because it hides the fact under the frills and sweet colours, she's not that very pretty or that bright." Mary laughed and Mariana began to well up with tears. She turned to her mother and cleared her throat.

"May I be excused mother?" Mariana requested. The Queen gave a pitying looks her daughter and then nodded. Mariana stood and left.

"Brimsley, please make sure my daughter reaches her father safely." Charlotte told her faithful servant. He nodded and went to do his queens bidding. Mariana changed into a simple dress and cloak then took a carriage to Kew. Everything was already made ready and Mariana went to her father. She knocked on his door.

"Papa?" she called slowly entering his room. George was mumbling to himself drawing on maps on the wall "Papa" she tried again. But received no answer. So she began to hum the tune he sang to her as a child. George was slowly brought back to reality. Mariana smiled holding out her hands to her father and he stumbled over to her and held out his hands. She took them in her own.

"Annie. is that you?" George asked

"Yes, Papa. It is I. How are the stars today?" she wondered

"They, they speak to me. They are in good spirits."

"That's good. Would they like to spend Christmas with us?" Mariana asked

"Christmas?"

"Yes, Christmas. I'm wearing my Christmas dress. Look" she twirled around "Sweet Annie and doting Papa. Shall we visit the observatory." George nodded

"Then let us get you into something warm. Hummm." she fitted her father with warmer clothing and then the two headed towards the observatory only stopping to gather the basket of food. They entered the observatory and sat themselves neat the telescope and Mariana set the food out between them.