Day Six - The Pinkertons

Will sat drinking in the bar alone in the Dubois a couple of days before Christmas. Kate had reluctantly gone to visit her family for the holidays. Willa as much as he wanted to see his mother in particular was told to stay in town by his father.

"Another." he requested. A barmaid strolled up with the bottle of whiskey and poured.

"Lonely Christmas?" The new barmaid asked. Will looked up to her.

"You could say that." he commented

"Well, if you ever want to talk, I am a good listener." She offered

"Not in need of your fine services tonight, many thanks though." he raised his glass to her and she raised an eyebrow.

"Good, because I'm not offering. I'm a barmaid and the occasional singer, nothing more." Will glanced guiltily at her.

"Apologies ma'am." he replied "Will Pinkerton." he introduced himself

"Wednesday Halliwell." she smiled

"Wednesday, an interesting name." he voiced making her chuckle.

"My parents way of starting a conversation since I wasn't as graceful looking as my sisters. 'Wednesday's child is full of woe.'" she quoted

"Ironic."

"Explains them to a T." she went to serve more customers as Will drink his refill and watched as she talked with the customers.

"So I haven't seen you around before . When did you arrive?" Will wondered and nd she came back over.

"A few days ago." she poured him another.

"You got me curious, what brings a fetching young woman to work as a barmaid in another city and in this particular establishment?" he questioned and Wednesday studied him for a moment.

"My parents wanted to marry me off to some old, loud mouth, open munching, misogynist. I didn't, so I packed a case took a small amount of money and left out my bedroom window." this statement made William laugh.

"Open munching?" he asked and Wednesday mimicked what she meant, the action made him laugh even more.

"He did that at dinner and still talked with his mouth full. Spat food everywhere." she laughed along with him. Wednesday was called away but when she came back Will had two glasses.

"For you." he slipped one forward.

"Maybe later. She hummed "So drinking alone at Christmas. Whatever for? No family?"

"Oh I have family, but they want me to hold the fort down here. My family runs the detective agency. While my...partner is away someone must stay." he answered making her ahh in response.

"Well you're in decent company."

"I rather think I am." he smiled at her

----------

Will came in the next evening to see Annalee tending the bar. He made his way over taking his hat off.

"Annalee, no Wed-" he was cut off

"We don't have anyone here by that name." she spoke confusing him. Then with her eyes she gestured to a more private part of the bar. He nodded and they moved away. "Will I need your help."

"With what?"

"Wednesday" She replied "Those men over there are one of her brothers and father, they've come here from Washington. They want to take her back home."

"Okay" he drawled not getting the point "So she's in trouble."

"You don't get it." she sighed "Wednesday isn't just in trouble. She didn't just run from and engagement. She's my cousin, she was beaten black and blue. Then she was planning to be sold to bolder the fortune. If she goes back she'll end up dead." Will glanced back to the men at the bar.