Chapter 95

MATHONGA- 

Looks can be deceiving, you’d swear Bab’Manyanga is a clean freak when you meet him on the street. His consultation room looks so shabby, something I didn’t expect. 

“Sit down,” he instructs us and keeps his inquisitive gaze on Amandla. 

“Sit with your legs straight young lady,” the sangoma tells her. 

Amandla appears to panic a bit before she stretches her legs forward.

Her agitation is understandable, she grew up in the Sabbath. Ancestors are a topic that is never to be touched. God is a jealous God— one of the ten commands. 

You do not put other gods before him. 

“Your grandmother blames herself for what your mother did to you, she wants to make up for it and that’s by getting you married to the man you love.” Bab’Manyanga says. 

After throwing his bones this is what he gives us? Another thing, what does Amandla’s grandmother have to do with my ancestors?

“How is that possible baba? I was told by my ancestors that I should marry Amandla.” I state judgementally because what he just said makes no sense. 

He regards me with judging eyes.

Please, I’m new to this. Besides, if Nomkhubulwane and crew saw it fit to fill me in on many things, I wouldn’t be here seeking help from other people’s ancestors. 

“Did they give you a reason why?” I don’t know if he’s trying to intimidate me with that look, or I’m solely intimidated by him. 

“They didn’t.” I say and drop my eyes when disappointment flashes in his. 

“You should know better, ndodana. Ancestors know everything, but they still want you to communicate with them. Tell them what’s on your mind, ask questions if you have to. Communicate with them.” He says. 

“I know baba,” not really. I want him to get off my case and tell us where to go from here. I will talk to Nomkhubulwane later, my brother is in the hospital, I need to go and see him. 

“Gog’MaCele was able to find favor in the eyes of the great Khanyiles. She pleaded for her granddaughter to be considered and her request was heard.” 

I’m not sure I follow what he’s saying. 

“How was Gog’MaCele able to communicate with my ancestors? Amandla and I are not married neither do we have a child together.” 

“Did you not take the girl’s virtue?” Bab’Manyanga asks. 

What does that have to do with all of this? 

Amandla clears her throat, she’s uncomfortable. 

“People who date do that baba, we don’t wait for marriage like they did in the old days. But having sex with someone you’re dating does not mean you are tied to them for life.” That’s my theory, I don’t know how my forefathers feel about it. 

“I know how you youngsters do things, you need to be careful who you sleep with ndodana. You too young lady. You don’t know what people are carrying out there. Soul ties are nothing to be taken lightly, ucansi is not something to be taken lightly like you people do.”  

It feels strange to be having this conversation with Bab’Manyanga, he’s suddenly become a father and temporarily ceased to be a sangoma. Very unnecessary, we need a sangoma not a father. 

“I hear you baba, but how can they agree to such a big thing without my approval? Do I not have a say in what happens in my life? I’m not the first guy to have an ex-girlfriend. Why am I being punished for having once loved a girl?”