chapter 82

KHETHIWE- 

The Khanyiles have been the talk of the country for the past two weeks, their faces are plastered on almost every paper that delivers news. A royal scandal is what has been leaving people’s mouths. 

From the eldest son’s sexual preference to Vumile’s love affair with a woman from his church. The giggling giant slaying a family out of rage and revenge, and the chief stepping down from his position as chief. It couldn’t have come at a bad time. 

The news of the chief’s retirement is trending number two on social media and all local newspapers, while ‘The Giggling Giant is at number one. 

My father wants me home, he says he saw me on the news crying for a murderer. His words not mine. I didn’t have the strength to explain to him, he will never understand. 

With Mathonga’s permission, I moved back to the palace working the same job. The aim is to be here where Ntaba’s people are. Today is visitation day, again Mathonga has allowed me to go first. I’ve waited a whole two weeks to see him. 

There are rumours, some workers want to quit because of what Ntaba did. They are afraid for their lives, imbeciles. 

Ntaba was wrong, but he did it out of anger. I’m not saying the innocent people deserved to die, I’m only saying that I will stand by my man through it all. I have deal breakers, I guess murder is not it. 

I saw that witch Thethelela at Zamangwane’s funeral, she had a smug look across her face. Now that I think about it, she looked like she had won the lottery. I wanted so bad to push her into the grave, I want nothing that associates me with her. There is something uncanny about her. 

My palms are sweaty, my heart is pumping so hard in my chest. I’m a nervous wreck, Ntaba is not here yet. I thought prisoners are brought into the room before visitors or I have been watching the wrong channels. 

“Dead man walking,” A thick voice booms outside the door. A loud mocking laughter is next, the person is coming this way. The sound is getting louder, I wish he would stop. He is giving me heart palpitations. 

“Haade ntwana, I’m practising for when I walk a man to the death row.” 

He’s with someone, it could be Ntaba. What is stressing me is the mention of a death row. Will Ntaba be sentenced to death? 

I’m on my wobbly feet, eyes engrossed on the door. It opens wide and I see him…my Ntaba. A flurry of emotions overwhelm me, has he lost weight? I can’t tell with how strong he looks. 

“Make it snappy skhokho,” the warden says and slams something on Ntaba’s chest. It’s a condom, I’m uncomfortable. 

“Voetsek,” Ntaba sizzles frowning down at the prison guard and throws the pack at him. 

It’s a gasping moment for me, he will get into trouble for swearing at the guard. Maybe not, the warden is dead with laughter. 

“That idiot,” Ntaba mumbles as the prison guard dances his way out. 

I’m not here for that man but this one who holds the key to my heart. He’s looking down at me, penetrating gaze and unsaid words. I have so much to say to him too. 

Like why he did what he did, did I not cross his mind? How do I live without him? 

“Where is Mathonga?” Really? No hug, kiss or a pat on the shoulder? 

“How are you Ntaba?” I will not be answering about Mathonga. He shrugs and slides into a chair, it’s too small for his build. His knees are pointing skyward, he looks so uncomfortable. I would offer my lap, become a chair for him but I’m not sure if we are in a good space.