Chapter 73

VUKUZAKHE- 

He managed to convince her to come home with him, her father was against it. He didn’t care, he’s not married to him but his daughter. 

He walks into their rondavel, shoulders slumped and a dejected look on his face. It’s a new day, too early in the morning, the roasters haven’t stopped crowing, yet he is ready for the day. . 

She’s under the covers facing the window, he stands there for a minute, looking at her fragile body. He slept on the couch last night, she didn’t want him touching her. 

He takes his space in bed, shoes and all… wraps an arm around her and pulls her into him. 

“Sthandwa sami,” very rare. 

Bongiwe sniffles, confirming that she is awake or it’s her way of telling him to continue. 

“Can we talk?” His face is on her neck, it’s been crazy long months since they have been in this position. If he must confess, it feels darn good. 

“I want out, Ngwane.” Her voice is a tad bit husky. 

“We’re married Bongiwe,” he reminds her. 

“Funny how you forgot that when you were chasing that boy.” He hurt her with how he handled everything, how he is currently handling things. Turning back time is not even possible, but if he could, he would in the blink of an eye. 

“I admit that I was wrong, I see it now.” Yeah! Bongiwe’s sigh surges through him, she has changed and somehow, he wishes she hadn’t. Can’t she be that old Bongiwe who complains and fights for everything she wants? It would make life easier for him. 

“I didn’t do things right, I admit that as well. Please don’t go, don’t leave like this Mabuza.” 

“Am I not enough for you Ngwane?” 

“You are, you are more than enough for me.” 

“Then why do I have to share you with someone else?” 

How does he answer this? Yes she is tough but that does not mean she has a heart of stone. 

“Look at me,” the magic word 'please' is kept away, however, his tone is respectful enough. Bongiwe does not submit, tears have taken over her face. 

“I want a divorce, Vukuzakhe.” She’s crying, Zakhe rises from his position, and kneels on the bed. 

“Bongiwe,” worry is there in his voice. 

He places a hand on her hip, “Ngiyacela mkami, please look at me.” 

Bongiwe is listening, she hears him, she just doesn’t want to face him.

“My love for you is slowly dying, I don’t want you anymore Vukuzakhe. I’m tired of fighting for a man who has never fought for me.” She’s sobbing.  

Vukuzakhe knows this is it, there is nothing he can say to change her mind. His sigh springs forth before he’s lying behind her and pulling her closer to him, leaving no space for side dishes.  

NTABEZIKUDE- 

“Don’t touch me!” He screams, bringing himself back from the dream world. He can feel his heart accelerating, nerves are kicking in. The back of his hand takes up the task of wiping the balls of sweat forming on his forehead. 

“And then?” 

Khethiwe is standing by his bedside, a question in her eyes. He cusses under his breath and quickly sits up. To avoid eye contact, he rubs his eyes.