Chapter 3

VUMILE-

Roommates is what they have become, it doesn’t feel like marriage anymore, it’s been like that since Mathonga was born. He thought they’d get over it, whatever they are fighting about, mend their differences for the sake of the children.
But she’s hardly around and that frustrates him to infinity.
Sometimes he forgets how she looks, her scent that once felt like home, the smile that once brightened his life even on rainy days. He’s half past to forgetting her name, as crazy as it sounds.

Every year on the 7th of July they are blessed with heavy rain, today is no different, it’s pouring as if to wash away something that should not be revealed or rather conceal a hidden secret.
Mathonga has turned twenty four years old, he’s a grown man. They all are... his children. He couldn’t be more proud, pride knocks on his chest whenever he sees his sons. They are beautiful, healthy and sometimes happy. Vumile’s sons are as tall as him and by the grace of God have completed their schooling.
It’s not like they had a choice, Khanyile Holdings demands an education. He singlehandedly built the company, all done for the future generation. Now they are here, wealthier than before. He’s built more rondavels around his estate.

There are undertones of mockery and jealousy roaming around Izingolweni, that Vumile Khanyile copied the Nkandla homestead.
No matter how big their mouths stretch, they can’t deny the fact that it’s a dream every person wants to see themselves in.

“Aunty,” Ndleleni offers the bewildered woman a handshake, and she… reluctantly, perhaps unsure about being called aunty, accepts.
“She’s not your aunty,” corrects Vumile with his deep Zulu accent.
Ndleleni tilts his head to the side, a spitting image of his mother, he is. Sometimes it freaks Vumile out just how much he looks like Dalisile and seems to have inherited her bad attitude. His other son Ntabezikude is not far from her as well.
“Then what do we call this one baba? There’s so many of them, it’s hard to keep up.” Ndleleni.
Ah! You spare a rod, you spoil a child. This one must have been asleep while the others were taught manners. Vumile cuts his eyes at him, it does nothing to the boy.
“Ndleleni? Ndleleni?” A reproaching tone from Vumile, brows arched in censure. It has Ndleleni rolling his eyes.
“Awuswabi, umdala and you’re married.” His teeth are clamped and eyes narrowed as he shakes his head in disapproval. 

Where is that rod we spoke about?

Vukuzakhe’s hand lands on Ndleleni’s shoulder, he squeezes tightly as if to chide him. Ndleleni side eyes him.
“Whatever baba does with his personal life is none of our business.”

God bless first born children.

Ndleleni would turn his glare towards his big brother if he were not afraid of him. Perhaps their father is too old for him to tremble at his word or he’s just too tired of the family drama to hear Vumile’s side of the story.

“Are you kidding me bhuti? He’s married to our mother, but uses every opportunity of her absence to bring a prostitute into my mother’s house.”
Ndleleni and creating silent moments. Vumile is about ready to clap back, tell his unruly son where to get off when they hear dogs barking outside.
“What are they doing here?”
He seems to know what’s happening outside, the boys too judging by the way they exchange nervous looks. Mathonga looks more terrified than the rest, Ndleleni’s face is as still as the night.

“Baba?” Her voice is tinted with worry. There’s a way Vumile looks at her, Vukuzakhe can familiarise with it, he’d seen it quite a number of times before Mathonga was born.
The boys forget about the dogs viciously barking outside, their focus falls on the stranger and their father who is looking into her eyes with adoration.
“Go to the room, and stay there.” Vumile instructs, bad move because Ndleleni clicks his tongue, it’s loud and disrespectful.
“He’s a married man, you know that?” Ndleleni fails to keep his mouth shut. Mashamase has not been able to look up since this boy fired her with a question. 
“I’m so…”
“No!” Vumile interrupts, getting into his son’s space. He is not a man to be disrespected not by anyone, especially his children. “You will not apologise for being an adult, Mashamase. You’re my guest and this is my house. These boys know I’m in charge around here.”
It’s the values he taught them he won’t look past, if he has to beat some sense into Ndleleni then he will. Big head over there knows very well how his father functions, the rules in the Khanyile household.
“Are you serious baba? Look at you, the person you’ve become. This woman is cooking in your house on a bloody Sabbath, Vumile Khanyile would never allow that.”
Vumile looks disgusted and it’s because of the tone of voice Ndleleni is using.
“Ngwane come out now.” Ah yes! They have a visitor.
The sound of a gunshot pierces through the walls of the Khanyile homestead, the dogs continue to bark savagely.
Vumile instructs his lady friend to hurry to the bedroom. It must be the guest bedroom because Dalisile would bring hell to this place. Vukuzakhe is the first to exit, like always, his brothers trail behind him.