Chapter 91

THE KHANYILES- 

Standing at the mountaintop, crazy drunk and suffering from a broken heart is not how he pictured he would die. This is where he finally connected with his ancestors, it might not be the exact mountain but it was at a mountain. And this is where he wants to end it. 

He’s not a man that easily gives up on life, he’s been tested before but this one seems to be the toughest test, one he is so sure he will fail. 

“Thong lami.’ The frantic voice calls for his attention and startles him, he tilts his head to see Hlabela and Ntabezikude. 

“Why are you here?” Mathonga sniffles, turning back to the vast nothing before him. 

“Let’s go home, Thonga.” Ntaba is not telling, he’s ordering. A loud chuckle is released by Mathonga, he sips on the bottle of whiskey and his face crumples in distaste as he swallows the liquid. 

“I didn’t ask you to come here, go back to your lives madoda. I don’t have a life, my ancestors have taken it and made it their own.” Mathonga’s second chuckle is bitter.  

He was going for sarcasm but the gods of humour fail him, the brothers don’t find him funny. 

“Okay, you didn’t ask us to come but we are here and we’re taking you home.” Hlabela replies. 

“You don’t understand, they want me to…” The thought seems to anger him, he swings his hand and tosses the bottle over the cliff. 

“They chose me to be their chief, to lead their people. I don’t mind that, but why does it come with a condition? I can’t do that to Nala, I can’t break her heart like that.” 

Tears come as they are, plenty and disrespectful. He’s royalty for goodness’ sake. 

“We’ll talk to Nala, we’ll explain everything. Don’t you think your death will hurt her even more?” Ntaba tries to be the voice of reason, he’s not good at this speech thing but when it comes to his brothers, the poor thing tries. 

Mathonga shakes his head, his gaze meets the long trees at the bottom of the mountain. He knows if he jumps from here, he will die before he hits the ground. 

Tears burn his eyes, he offers a subtle headshake. 

“I always listen to the ancestors and do as they say but not this time. Let’s see who they will control when I die.” 

“Don’t be stupid Mathonga, how will your death be beneficial to Nala? Killing yourself will be killing her.” Hlabela thinks yelling will knock some sense into Mathonga’s head, it has to. Otherwise, how else will they get him to go home with them?

A frowning Ntaba takes a careful step forward, his move brings a frown to Hlabela’s face. 

“You want to jump, right Thonga lami?” Ntaba asks. “Then go ahead and jump.” 

“Ntaba, what are you doing?” Hlabela’s jaw tightens. How stupid can Ntaba be to tell their little brother to kill himself? 

“Go ahead and kill yourself Thonga,” Ntaba persists. 

His request confuses Mathonga, sure he wasn’t asking for pity but he wasn’t asking for a cheerleader too. 

“It’s not funny Ntaba,” Mathonga. 

“Yeah Ntaba, it’s not funny. Stop provoking him,” Hlabela grunts, his scrutiny burning Ntaba’s giant form. 

“I’m not provoking him Hlabela, if Mathonga wants to jump then he should. Strip Vumile of his sons, it will be like he never had children to begin with.”