Chapter 2

MATHONGA-

It’s been four hours since the clock struck 12am. I’m officially a twenty four year old man with nothing much to show but my father’s hard earned money.

I watch my brothers drink like there's no tomorrow, I should be joining in on the fun. It is my birthday after all. But I’m that idiot who can’t even have a good time, my mind is entertaining thoughts of my mother. I tried to wipe her out of my head, it shouldn’t be so hard. Right?
Argh! What’s the point of trying to convince myself? I’m hurting like I’ve always been for years.
It’s not a surprise that she’s not in the country, I don’t remember a year my mother was present on my birthday.
Without fail, my father would throw the mother of all parties, I guess that was never enough to get her to attend. Neither has she ever wished me a happy one.
This year I don’t want a party, so they have brought me here, my brothers. They brought me to a club in Durban, far away from Vumile’s eye. 

“Why aren’t you drinking?” Vukuzakhe asks.
He’s always the first to fall away, you’d think he’d be the responsible one but my brother drinks like he’s the guy who helped Jesus carry the cross.
“Do you think she will come home?”
He frowns at my question before gulping down a bottle of beer.
“We brought you here to get your mind off of her. Come on Thonga.” Dark weary eyes under drooping eyelids are staring back at me. Even in his drunk state, he gets me to drop my gaze first.

I’d describe Vukuzakhe as an alpha male like my father. He is rough around the edges. Fairly charismatic and reasonably good looking and that’s a given, he is Vumile’s son.
My brother was once an unfaithful asshole, he left that part of him in his younger days. He’s too old now and too taken to be chasing skirts.  
“I know bhuti, but you know I can’t help it?”
“Can’t help what?” That’s Hlabela, standing close enough for me to hear him regardless of the loud music. This one is a church boy. Who drinks orange juice at a club? It’s embarrassing.
“Baby wants his mommy.” Ndleleni teases, he’s the insensitive one. He gets a glare from Vukuzakhe.
“Not today Ndlela, fill that big mouth with beer not nonsense.” 
“Hey, it’s the truth.” Ndleleni argues, his stubbornness reminds me of Dalisile.
That’s what she ordered me to call her. My brothers have the privilege to address her as mama while I was never given a choice, it was either I address her by name or not talk to her at all. At first it bothered me, but eventually grew on me like a plant on concrete.

“I don’t know why you waste your time with that woman, it’s clear she doesn’t care about any of us but her golden boy.”
His unbothered eyes point at Vukuzakhe, he has no care in the world that Zakhe is nine years his senior.
“What the hell is your problem? What did I say to you just now?” Trembling hands bang against the table, fiery eyes bulge out of their sockets and slurred words erupt from my big brother’s mouth, yet they hold the authority that brings Ndleleni to submission.

“Guys calm down,” trust Hlabela to be the peacemaker, he’s standing beside Vukuzakhe with a tight grip on his shoulder. “Can we just celebrate Thonga’s birthday?”

“I agree, you don’t have to be a jerk all the damn time Ndlela.” I’m angry, he has no right to speak to Vukuzakhe like that.
“Whatever.” Ndleleni grunts, grabs a bottle of castle light and finds his way to the bar. I guess in a way, we’re kind of like the same. Lack the love of a mother. Being the second last born, he too grew up craving for our mother’s attention and when he didn’t get it, he made way for hate instead. 
“I’m going out for a smoke.” His speech loses itself, you know Vukuzakhe is fuming when his stuttering gets out of control. I want to follow him but Hlabela holds me back.

“He needs time alone.”

He’s right, my gaze finds the cause of all this, Ndleleni. He holds his beer in the air, and flashes me a wide smile. Okay. I guess all is forgotten.
“I need to use the bathroom.” I excuse myself, from the table.
Weaving through the crowded room, I scan through the sea of bodies moving rhythmically to the music. Funny how life gets you to a position where you forget all your problems and all that matters is this very moment. At the end of the day everybody here has to go back home, back to their demons.