Chapter 47

MATHONGA-
Forty-Seven

*
*

MATHONGA-

The funeral went smoothly—well there were a little bumps here and there, but nothing dramatic and no one needing to be saved from enemies.
Last night, Thobani was made to lie face down on Thabani’s coffin, he didn’t put up a fight but held on to it as if his life depended on it. It was hard for Nala to watch her brother bidding the other goodbye, I wanted to be there but unfortunately could watch from a distance.
Things were different today, Nala said Thobani wouldn’t sit on the coffin, he plainly refused. The child knew it was going to go down the hole, the thought surely terrified him.
The boy fought a good fight until his muscles gave up on him, he went down wailing and came back calm. He has not said a word to anyone, Nala is drowning in dread. This is a part of their lives where they will need a hand to hold.
Formalities were done before they came back to the Khanyile household for the after tears, I waited impatiently for their return. Wondering if they were okay, being gifted is not something one should wish for. It’s a blessing but can also be a curse.

Nala is sleeping with Thobani in her arms, I don’t want to disturb her sleep but Styles says we’re leaving tonight and Ntaba agrees with him. I don’t know what the rush is and like always, I have no say in it. The day is almost over, people ate and went back to their homes which is such a relief. We need the privacy and peace that comes with it.

Am I so weak to be smitten by this girl?
I still remember the first time I saw her, maybe it was love at sight and I did not know it that time.
“Nala,” I shake her awake only for her to jolt up, eyes stirring the spacious room. “It’s me.” 
I see relief surge through her as her eyes meet mine, she considers me with a gentle smile.
“Mathonga?”
“We’re leaving tonight, you need to pack your things.”
Her gaze finds Thobani who is fast asleep, she looks back at me.
“I don’t have anything really, I lost my clothes that day I was…”
“It’s fine,” I interpose, not wanting her to ride back to the past. We’re done attracting negativity.
“We’ll make a plan when we get to Joburg, I need to have a word with my father. Will you be okay?”
I have to ask, her eyes are droopy and lips parched. She stands, offering to walk me out. My hand finds the small of her back, she eases under it and leans into me.
“I’m okay, you’ve done enough for me. How can I ever repay you?”  
It's words like these that make me feel like she doesn’t see me as her boyfriend. I’m not going to answer her, I don’t want to say something I will regret. I kiss her on the cheek and tell her to be ready before dawn, and leave.

VUMILE-

Nandi opens the door to her room and lets him in, she always does, especially at night when everyone has gone to bed. Feeling lonely and needing some good loving, Vumile would leave his room to join her in bed.
No fornication has been committed yet, although a devoted Christian, he is aware of the wrath of the ancestors. He can’t afford to put Nandi in that position.
He didn’t go to her last night, people were here and there plus a dead body on the premises. It’s been a long day for everyone, Nandi included who has been running up and down attending to visitors. There were questions of course, undertones and snoopy looks from the villagers. They wanted to know who she is, you can spot a servant from a distance and Nandi looks nothing of the sort.

“Are you okay?”
She’s not okay, she does not look okay. Nandi sighs and shuts the door, she sits on the chair by the window and not on her bed, beside her potential husband. This is a sign, Vumile knows she’s upset with him. This one speaks with actions, she is a peaceful woman and does not like quarrelling.
“Why am I still here, Vumile?” Yeah, it’s one of those days when he’s not Ngwane but Vumile. His brows skyrocket and fall back in a split second, he sits forward, eyes intently on her. Her gaze does not waver, she plans on looking him in the eyes throughout.
“I did apologise for what happened last week, I don’t agree with how you were treated by…”
“The elders are never wrong, we can never question the things they do. Your grandfather’s anger is justified, your ancestors do not know me and it’s all on you, Vumile. You refuse to give me a place in your life.”
“That’s not true, MaShamase. You’re here, are you not?” Vumile argues his claim, perhaps he is blind… in a way.
“What difference does that make? My child and I are still outcasts, for years you refused to give me a place in your life. You hid us from the world, claiming that you needed to protect the boys. I understood that Ngwane and I stood by you, where has that gotten me? Nowhere.”
“Nandi…”
“How long am I going to carry the mistress title?” She interjects, standing up to her feet. Maybe a bad choice, he is still chief and protocol says do not stand while addressing the chief.
“What do I really mean to you, Vumile?”
Argh, stuff it. She knows him horny, naked, and sweaty. Vumile stands, over sizing her, his hands get the pleasure of holding hers. Their eyes meet in an unmoving dance. 
“Marry me, I love you and I want us to get married.” Hasty! Where is Dalisile? Nandi can’t help but sigh, she’s heard these empty promises before. Like last time, she is deterred. Vumile has never been a man of his word.
“I’m a grown woman Ngwane, don’t play with me.” Nandi.
“I am not playing with you, I will send a letter to your uncles in three days. You will become my wife MaShamase, you and our daughter will be given your rightful place in this house.”
A man with a vision, or… a spur of the moment man. His brothers are back home, healthy and moving on with life. They better be finishing their pap because they will need strength when Nandi’s uncles come for him. Seventeen years with their daughter? The audacity… He hugs her in his tender arms, he loves this woman… he just has a weird way of showing it.
*
*
Vumile is sitting alone in the lounge fighting demons and trying not to think of Dalisile, and how she will react to him marrying Nandi when a knock disturbs his peace, he opens the door to his cousin Qinisela. A smile spreads on the chief’s face, it dies when he spots a Sangoma standing a distance behind Qinisela.
“What is he doing here?” He’s not happy about this, or else he wouldn’t be questioning his cousin who is way older than him.
“He is here to cleanse the premises, there was a funeral Vumile, it has to be done.” Qinisela gives reason.
“I don’t want that man here, tell him to leave.” Vumile steps out, pushing Qinisela further out with him.
“We have to do the cleansing, I don’t want bad luck following your children.” Qinisela validates his reasons.
“You know that I don’t want those people in my premises.” Vumile argues.
“Yes, I know. I also know that you have failed to keep your children safe, have you seen them Vumile? Have you sat down and taken time to study your boys? They are lost, every one of them.”
Vumile does not appreciate this, cousin or not, Qinisela has no right. Not even Dalisile has bothered to tell him how to raise them, money talks when it comes to her. Qinisela is different, he is an African man who still practices tradition. 
“Are you judging my parenting skills, Qinisela?” He’s not about to start a fight, it’s just a question that deserves an answer.
“You know I would never do that, all I’m saying is that put your children first. They don’t deser…”
“They are my children, not yours.” Vumile has become feisty, so defensive and boring. Qinisela frowns, he can’t recall a day his cousin spoke to him with such disrespect— it’s not like Vumile to spew cheeky covered shit when talking to elders.
“What about Mathonga?” This should bite. 
“What about Mathonga?” Vumile interrogates like a detective out to solve a Jane Doe. Four pairs of angry eyes are locked on each other, nostrils flaring and breaths whiffing the mid-summer air.
“He’s not your son, the least you can do is keep him safe for the sake of his father.” 
“Qinisela?” Vumile roars grabbing him by his shirt, it’s too late, Qinisela has said what he said and he is not taking it back. 
“Baba?” A voice calls from the side, they turn to Mathonga. The shock in his eyes says he heard every damn thing.