Chapter 60

THE KHANYILES-

“Are you okay?” The question is brought forward to Mathonga as Ndleleni helps him get into bed after a bathroom break. Mathonga hums in response, his eyes are on Nala. She’s worried sick, he sees it in her eyes.
“I’m okay, Mathonga.” She has to assure him, he can’t be worried about his legs and her as well.
“Please come closer,” he extends a hand for her to take. She’s a little hesitant, eyes flashing back and forth to Ndleleni.
“My brother doesn’t bite.” Mathonga teases, laughing at his own failed joke. Ndleleni snorts, face bunched.

“I’m going to be okay, Nala. I promise.” He’s not sure if that is true, his ancestors are having their way with him even after accepting to become their vessel.
“You’re paralysed,” she takes his hands. “This is all scary for me, Mathonga. Why didn’t you tell me about your gift?” She’s not upset, just feeling a little left out.
“I didn’t think my ancestors would embarrass me and take it this far.” It’s meant to be a joke, that’s why he’s laughing. She doesn’t seem to be catching it.  
“Do you think there’s a way to get them off your back, maybe until you’re ready?” Ndleleni.
He has never taken time to study the supernatural or spiritual world, life has been just that for him—life. God and ancestors never fascinated him to a point of giving them his full attention. 
His question is left unanswered, Mathonga’s eyes are suddenly hanging. He’s finding it hard to keep them open.
“We should let him get some sleep.” Ndleleni gestures with a head nod that they should leave the room.
“I want to stay with him, for a while.” Forever is what she means, leaving him alone would be risky. He is not a man in control of his body, he needs someone to constantly watch over him.
Ndleleni says nothing, he leaves as soon as Mathonga completely shuts his eyes.
Liyana was not able to see beyond angry ancestors, no matter how much she tried to get them to talk, she couldn’t. The next solution was to call her husband who said he was on his way about forty five minutes ago.  

Left alone with the man after her heart, Nala swings her arm over his torso. Her head finds a pillow on his chest, the sound of his heart thudding brings her to tears. Life is not going well for any of them, just when she has found love for herself, strange things start happening.
There were days when she had dreamt of being free from Petros and finally living like a normal person, this life is not what she had in mind. Maybe forever and a day does not exist.
Eventually, Nala succumbs to sleep—safe in Mathonga’s arms.

.
.

In the land of dreams, Mathonga finds himself seated on the throne. The throne room is adorned in white from all corners, he’s garbed in a golden cloak. On his wrists and ankles are golden accessories that match the golden crown on his head.
There are people coming in numbers to leave gifts at his feet, they leave the throne room crawling on their knees with their heads bowed.  
Suddenly a stray dog materialises through the wide opened door, it carries with it a dark presence that brings darkness in the throne room.
“Who let you in here?” Mathonga practices his authority, he stands to ready himself for war. The dog growls revealing its canine teeth, just as he’s about to question it again, another dog materialises. This one is big and majestic, resembling a lion.

In his subconscious, he knows it came with the intent to protect.
In a millisecond, the dogs run towards him, barking viciously. The small one outruns the big dog, eyes glinting murderously. Mathonga thinks of running, but can’t move his legs. The only thing left to do is curl himself on the floor and wait for the unescapable.