Chapter 85

AMANDLA-

Sabusiswa and my grandmother were buried next to each other, it was the Celes’ request. They didn’t care that Sabusiswa had my grandmother killed and gave her body in exchange for riches. 

“We’re going to perform the necessary rituals, and lay them to rest next to each other.” I was seething. 

I will never forgive my mother for what she put me through, wherever she is, I know she is a bad ancestor. 

I wish she told me why she did what she did, sure Mathonga’s friend explained everything but I wanted to hear it from the horse’s mouth. 

Her house in Waterfall City is vacant till today, I want nothing to do with it or her money. She had no will, which I’m grateful for. I wouldn’t have taken the devil’s money. 

The cleansing ceremony went well I presume, I sleep like a baby at night. Bambindlovu gave me things to drink to clean me on the inside, it took me a month to complete the process. If I ever have to drink anything bitter in my life again, I will dig a hole and bury myself. 

My wounds are healing, slowly but surely. For two weeks I had to depend on a wheelchair and Nala to help me with things I couldn’t do myself. 

My mind hasn’t gotten used to the fact that we’re sisters, Zitha too. Who would’ve thought? It’s too bizarre for me. Sometimes I wake up thinking it’s a dream. 

They have been very supportive, we’re staying in one of Zitha’s rentals in North Riding. A nice two bedroom apartment, Nala shares one of the bedrooms with her brother. It’s been good I must say but there are days when it’s awkward between us, especially when I bring Mathonga up. 

Fate is a deity, playing with people’s lives like that. 

“Amandla, can I come in?” That’s Nala. 

I look at my reflection in the mirror for the last time and shout for her to enter. 

“Hey! Are you ready?” She’s smiling. 

Nala and Zitha look so much alike, they must look like our father and I had to have Sabusiswa’s features. I wouldn’t want to look like either of my parents, I resent them both. I’m not interested in knowing about my father, the three of us decided we are better off without him. I don’t want my life complicated again. 

“How do I look?”  

I’m only wearing a dress, nothing fancy. A girl needs to look like she just walked out of Instagram once in a while, I’m still trying to find my way through that. 

“Let your braids loose and you’ll look amazing,” the sister has spoken. I’m not saying I trust her fashion sense. 

“We should get going before it’s crowded.” She says. 

We’re having a picnic in Emmarentia dam with Zitha, she has too much time on her hands. She’s always planning something. 

“Just a second.” I need this second to gloss my lips. By the time I’m done, she’s wearing a weary expression. That’s a quick transition for someone who was jolly early this morning. 

“What?” I shrug. 

“I saw Thabani in my dream, he was on the other side of the river. I wanted to cross over and get to him but I couldn’t, he kept waving at me. There was a smile on his face, I couldn’t understand why he was happy when I was in tears. My mother suddenly appeared, she took his hand and walked away with him.” 

The story about her dead brother is sad, and I thought I was going through the most.  

“I’m not knowledgeable on African spirituality but I think your brother has crossed over, he’s gone to be with his ancestors now.”