Chapter 68

NALA- 

The purpose of this dinner was for Thobani’s sake, he needed to be out in public. Liyana suggested it. I don’t want to lie, I had fun. She is a cool person to be around. 

“It would also be a good chance for you to meet my friend,” there’s this friend she won’t stop talking about. I’m eager to meet the woman she speaks highly of. 

Sethu and her daughter Asanda tagged along of course, Thobani needed a companion. They have grown close, although five years apart. Asanda is a smart little girl, very naughty but lovable too. 

“I think I should take Asanda home, it’s getting late.” Sethu introduces, patting her daughter’s back. She’s snuggled on her mother’s chest, falling in and out of sleep. We’re still here because Liyana’s friend had something to do. 

We’re waiting for her.

“You can go sis’ Sethu, I’ll drop Nala home.” Whipping my eyes, I meet Liyana’s, they resemble a question. I guess I can wait a while longer. 

“I don’t mind, please take Thobani with you. I will tuck him in when I get home.” 

The boy clings on to my arm, “No Nala, I want to stay with you.” 

He can be paranoid, he is afraid that one day I will leave him like Thabani did, therapy is serving him good though. He can speak and accommodate strangers like Sethu and Styles. It’s been easy for him to get along with five-year old Asanda, children find it easy to befriend each other. 

“How about we get some ice-cream before we go home?” Sethu comes to my rescue and Thobani seems to love the idea, for the first time in a long time his eyes glimmer with excitement.  

“I love ice-cream a lot,” he must think he is not included. Laughter is heard around the table, he shies away by hiding his face on my chest. 

“If you go with aunt Sethu and Asanda, she will buy you a big cup of ice-cream.” The smile on his face is precious, mission accomplished. Sethu heads out with the kids, leaving me alone with Liyana. 

“He’s going to be okay, you know that, right?” Liyana. 

My eyes dash to the exit, they are out of sight. A smile crawls to my mouth, I trust Liyana’s words. She and her husband are gifted, I happen to think it’s beautiful. Also having someone you can trust on your side is a breath of fresh air. 

“I know, he just needs some time.” Hopefully not much. 

“And you? Are you going to be okay?” Shouldn’t she be able to tell? I can’t find the answer to her question, my life has a missing puzzle and I am yet to find out what it is. 

“I don’t know,” I shrug, looking away from her penetrating gaze, she is always trying to read me. 

“You just need to let go and you will be fine, let go of your brother too… the one that passed on. Allow him to rest in peace, he’s just a baby.” 

Why is she making me feel guilty? My eyes run around the crowded restaurant, eyeing people coming in and out. I can’t help but wonder if they are facing life problems like I am, things seem to be okay from my view. 

“Can we not talk about him please?” I’m never in the mood to talk about Thabani, what he went through in the hands of Petros; I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. Liyana nods, she lifts her glass of juice and quenches a thirst. Her eyes are on me, unblinking. 

“Would you rather we talk about your father?” She leans over the table, watching me as if I would disappear with just a blink. Shivers rush down my spine, a lump forms on my throat.