Chapter 12

VUMILE-

They met when he was at his lowest. His life was spiralling out of control, it felt like it when his six year old son, Mathonga had fallen ill.
They didn’t know why he couldn’t speak or move. A traditional healer told him to look for the man with the answers, the man who would cure the child.
He didn’t specify which man, but Vumile knew who he was talking about.

Vumile left that smelly mud house swearing to himself and the gods above never to return there.
Seeking help from a spiritual person became risky for him, he wanted his son alive, but destroying him in the process was not worth the trouble.

His brother’s wife mentioned something about a God of miracles, a God who gives when you ask. A healer who raises the dead from the grave. Vumile had heard of him of course, he just never had time to entertain thoughts of him.
Despite being oblivious to this powerful deity, he agreed to tag along to church.
It was a Sabbath morning. The first few hours were boring as sin, sleep summoned him with a soothing lullaby until the voice of a praying woman caught his attention. He sat up straight, rubbed his tired eyes awake and stared at the woman like a crazed serial killer while she conversed with God.
He was the only one at church who had his eyes open. 

Introducing himself was not a problem, she was welcoming and understanding when he told her about his sick son. Like any devoted Christian, her first solution was to pray for him.

A prayer warrior she was and that’s what made him fall in love with her.  

“Mathonga will be okay, our son will be okay.” She had told him last night when he came knocking at her door, their door rather because you know, he had to build the woman a house… a place she’d call home. Away from her father’s house.

“The God I serve never fails, he is a miracle worker. Let’s pray.” The words that followed were hard to believe for Vumile. How could he when his son was not with him.

She brought him to his knees, she did the praying while he did the weakening. Nothing in him pushed him to pray, God had broken his heart and he didn’t want to speak to him.
“You’re a good woman Nandi.” He told her after the prayer that restored his hope.

-------

“Your food is getting cold baba.” Nandi awakens Vumile from a trance he’s trapped in, he blinks to see her standing before him with a cup of hot pipping tea.
“Ngiyabonga Mashamase.” He appreciates when she places it on the table next to the plate of warm breakfast. That’s right! The chief did not sleep at home last night.
“Stop worrying about him, you’ll only stress yourself.” She slides into a chair beside him, eyes full of worry.
“It’s morning and I haven’t heard anything.”
The plate of food is pushed aside, he’s lost his appetite.

“It’s all in God’s hands, baba.” They look into each other’s eyes like a young couple, her warm hand finds his under the table. Vumile appreciates the squeeze. “Mathonga is not going anywhere baba, he’s here to stay. There’s something special about our boy.”

Our boy!
Vumile loves to hear that, this woman is golden. A smile reaches his ears, and pumps his heart until it starts dancing to the echoing sound of Nandi’s sweet words.
“You are special Mashamase, have I ever told you that?” A smile is brought to her face.
Look at them making each other smile.

“You did the day Zamo was born.”
Ah yes! That glorious day. Vumile nods contentedly, eyes doing their best to showcase a smile too.

“My baby,” is said with pride. “Where is she? I haven’t seen her yet, I thought she was sleeping when I got home last night.” Vumile.
“She slept over at a friend’s house.” Bustling eyes are hidden from him, Nandi knows he’s against their daughter sleeping at people’s houses as if her father did not build her a home.
“I don’t like this, Mashamase. What would people say?”