Chapter 40

MATHONGA-
Forty-

NALA-

He’s gone, he ran out of here like something was chasing him. I don’t think he’s coming back, it’s been too long. Something is wrong with Thobani, he is not hearing me, no matter how loud I shout.
He’s holding Thabani in his arms, there’s so much blood, and I just know that something is terribly wrong.
“Thobani listen to me, please. You need to untie me, so we can take Thabani to the hospital.” 
He does what he has been doing, rock Thabani back and forth in his arms, without giving me a glance. There is no other escape for me, but through Thobani, and that blood stained knife on the floor. Our brother will die if he doesn’t get any help.

FUNOKUHLE-

Zitha left me alone with Kenneth, she took Buhle to the doctor for a check-up. I wanted to tag along when she told me that Kenneth will be my housemate for a few hours.
I’m in the lounge watching television when he walks in, from God-knows where.
“Sir.” I’m suddenly fidgety, do I stand or remain seated? He’s standing close to the couch I’m sitting on, hands on his back and brows lifted. His presence is unsettling, I wonder if he ever cracks a smile. I find myself standing and drop my gaze when my eyes meet with his. 
“Call me Kenneth.” He deadpans, little does he know I don’t need his permission to call him Kenneth, not that I would ever call him by name. It feels like he’d slit my throat if I ever breathe his name.
He holds out a thin black phone, with that expression.
“What is that?” Why am I asking an obvious question? Can he smile a little, at least? Maybe I won’t be so nervous.
“A phone, it’s for emergencies.” He replies.
For a second there, I sense some annoyance in the tone of his voice. Maybe Zitha put him up to this, she thought it was not okay for me to be without a phone.
“I’m okay sir, you really don’t have to buy me anything.” He frowns at me as if I said something wrong.
“There are people out there who want you safe, it’s up to you if you want protection or not. I’m doing my part as a friend.”
Something tells me he is not going to explain himself even if I waste my time asking. I might as well take the phone, I don’t have one anyway. Slowly, he cracks his head to the direction he came.
“Enter.” His voice is demanding and steady.
This man is too formal, he speaks like he doesn’t want to speak and has an aura of a lone walker. How does Zitha cope? I would surely be trembling most of the time.
A bulky man in a black suit ambles into the living room. Great, another man with blank eyes and a poker face like Zitha’s husband. How many of them did God make? He forgot to add some emotion. The man greets with a single head nod and stands like Kenneth.
“This is Black, he will be your personal guard.” A bodyguard? Why am I given a guard?
“I don’t understand sir.” Thoughtlessly, I fold my arms across my chest. A defensive posture I guess, I don’t like being followed around. I have serious trust issues.
“He’s your bodyguard,” Kenneth continues like any of this is normal, I’m a herd boy from Izingolweni.

My father has nothing tangible to his name, he lives on borrowed land and has no solid income coming in.
Funokuhle Sangweni having a bodyguard is too funny a thought.
“Like I said, you have people who want you safe.” He elucidates like he sees the discomfort on my face. “Excuse me.”
Where is he going? My eyes warily snap to Black, I hope he won’t be staring at me the entire time. It’s creepy and I don’t trust him simply because he is a stranger.
“Mr. Kenneth.”
When Kenneth turns back around, I want to smack myself on the head. He looks pissed, or that’s just how he looks. Sometimes I forget.
“I’m sorry, sir. I…” It’s not by choice when I bite my bottom lip, I want to ask him not to leave me alone with this man. Yey, I don’t know him, I’ve been through a lot to trust strangers.
“Black won’t do anything to you, he knows I’d kill him and his entire generation if he does.” I shiver visibly, as his words affect me. Stealing a glance at Black, I notice how his Adam’s apple bobs up and down. Kenneth is a demon, no way can he be human. How do you deliver a death threat like it’s nothing and still be able to inflict fear in the next person?
He’s gone, leaving me alone with Black. I hope he won’t be following me to the bathroom or my room.