Chapter 11

MATHONGA-

Nothing is going according to plan, this is the first time they have him in their presence. None of them thought it was going to be this difficult.
He’s unconscious, lain on a long table in dark room flickering with red lights.
Five men dressed in black cloaks are surrounding him, not one is brave enough to come close. Something is not right, there’s heat each time they try to touch him, unbearable heat that burns with a promise to vanquish them.

They are on the outskirts of the village, in a place arched by tall thick trees. Far away from his father’s warm home.
Taking him outside of Izingolweni should have the boy powerless, it’s what they had convinced each other and have been proven otherwise.
00:00am has come and gone, a small ceremony to keep him bound and unconscious for seven days has been put to rest. Two of their men have been struck by lightning, sending them straight to their demise.

It’s unacceptable… They’ve come to a decision.
The leader has to be told. She’s expecting them soon, with good news. They decide that one of them will deliver the news.

The chosen one sets off, it takes him less than five minutes to reach her chambers and enters without knocking nor permission. His head falls at the sight of a woman seated on a chair situated in the middle of the room, her lap is home to a black cat.
The golden head wrap on her head and necklace adorned around her neck prove that she is an empress of some sort, in her right hand is a snake head sceptre.
The glare she sends the man drops him to his knees right before her and lowers his head in respect.

“How dare you, enter without knocking.” The woman barks, slamming a clenched fist on the chair’s armrest.
“Forgive me, Ndlunkulu” the apology trembles from his mouth. “We have a problem.”
The woman frowns at the sound of the announcement. 
“What is it?” Her voice has settled, unlike her anger.
“The boy is untouchable.”
“What do you mean the boy is untouchable?” Asks the woman, anger seeming to find its way back to her voice.
“We can’t touch him, Ndlunkulu.”
“I heard that, you idiot,” She’s losing her patience.
“They have refused with him. There seems to be a hedge of protection around him.”
The announcement brings her to her feet, eyes burning with rage, she stomps towards the man on the floor.
“Who the hell defies me?” Her voice fills the large room, bouncing on walls with so much wrath.

“His mother.” The man answers, with no ounce of confidence found in him. He steals a glance when the lady on the throne bursts out in spine chilling laughter.
“His mother hates him, she wishes for his death.” She articulates with pride.

“I’m not talking about the woman who gave birth to him” A head shake. “I mean the woman who has loved him since he was a child. She prays for him, he’s hidden behind her, Ndlunkulu.”

“What? No, I will not be defeated by weak humans. Do you hear me? I’ve wanted that boy from the day he was born. This is my chance, my chance.” She shouts, grabbing the man by the black cloak. Fear is tinted in his eyes as they meet hers, although bigger than her in structure, he trembles in her presence.
“We see fire around him, Ndlunkulu. We can’t keep him here, or we will all die.” The words hurry out of his mouth as if he’d die before delivering the message.
The woman growls in anger, pushes the man that he stumbles to the point of almost falling and points the sceptre at him.
“Release him. Throw him in the deepest forest, let’s see if this woman who prays will be able to save him from wild animals.” The order is given but not accepted, the man’s eyes are wide with panic and shock. His knees kiss the floor again.
“He will die.” Comes the reply from the man.

“If he were to die, he would’ve died years ago.” The storm in her seems to have ceased. “Mathonga NgwaneKaNgwadi Khanyile, we will meet again.”

VUKUZAKHE-

The west wing is vacant, just one or two staff members can be found there. It’s the safest place to keep his little secret, he would’ve taken him home, but the Minnie minion is against it. It’s past midnight, his father would not jump for joy at his arrival.
Vukuzakhe unlocks the door to one of the rondavels, they are met by white sheets and blue curtains as he turns the light on.
The room looks expensive, funo is not sure if he should enter. His father’s house is nothing compared to what his eyes are beholding.

“You can sleep in here, no one ever comes here.” Vukuzakhe starts, looking down at the kid who hasn’t spared him a glance. His battered face is tumbled in shame.
“I don’t want to be an inconvenience.” Funokuhle’s timid reply makes Vukuzakhe a pint-size grumpy. He takes up a scowl, leaning his heavy weight body against the door frame. They are standing too close to each other, no one has a made an effort to create some space.