Chapter 52

MATHONGA-
Fifty-two

KHETHIWE-

I didn’t think that he would ask me to come to his uncle’s funeral, two weeks have gone by since then and he still looks broken, shredded to pieces.
No one knows what happened to Bopha, his wife can’t explain it either. Her story is that they were talking and he suddenly fell, some think it was a heart attack and others say witchcraft. It’s the theories black people come up with when doctors fail.
He wasn’t in bed when I woke up that morning, somehow I kind of knew that he wouldn’t be around. I haven’t seen him in a week, he keeps contact though, checking up on me.  

“Mzala, did you order breakfast? There’s a full meal standing at our door step.” I hear Sono shout, she’s lucky my mother is not home. That woman does not take nonsense, I want to respond but I’d rather converse with these dishes, they are not going to wash themselves.
“He’s looking at me, Mzala. What should I do?”
Is she serious? What kind of a question is that?
“Eat him I guess, you stupid whore.” I tease, and she knows it. That’s why she’s laughing like her clit is being tickled, I have to abandon my plates and scurry out of the kitchen to see what the commotion is about or she will never stop. On the corridor, I bump into Amafu, she’s also headed to the door. I don’t remember her sister calling her, she said mzala not wele. (Cousin not twin.)
The corridor is not vast enough to accommodate me and Amafu, this tall giant pushes me aside and dashes before me. Amafu is auditioning to be the devil’s bitch, her bitterness reminds me of my mother. Her mother Rebecca is nice though, like Sono. Sono and Amafu are fraternal twins, Sono is short and thick, Amafu is a giraffe with a long neck that always pushes her head into businesses. 
My legs have made it to the end of the house, Amafu is standing against the wall, arms folded across her chest. And her sister looks like she’s buying a vibrator from a sells person with how she is smiling at the man I have not seen in a week.
What is he doing here? I didn’t think I would be seeing him again.
He diverts his attention to me at my arrival, a ghost of a smile on his face. I’m used to the stupid grins, I’m thinking he’s not better yet.
“Ntaba?”
“I brought breakfast.” He holds up a FKC package, I’m grateful, I’m not about to deny food. It’s better than the porridge we had.
“Nice, thank you.” Sono grabs the package and sends her big eyes inside, Ntaba didn’t say he bought it for her. She does not even know him for crying out loud.
“Thank you, Ntaba.” I grab the package from Sono, no way is she eating my food and I am not about to act like a girlfriend by denying food. He’s looking at me, I think he wants to be invited in.
“Come in,” he shakes his head. What is wrong with him?
“Your father lives here.” He says. Did he not sleep in my brother’s room the other day? 
“I’m here to see you, Peaches.” There’s a small fire in his eyes, it burns my sorrows away. 
“Peaches?” Sono squeals, doing a little jump that embarrasses me. “Oh my God, are you her boyfriend?”

I quickly avert my gaze towards Ntaba to find nothing on his face, Sono is ruining my life. I might as well find Osama bin Laden’s hiding place and seek refuge there.
“No,” I would deny this with my palm placed on the bible, Ntaba does not do relationships, that’s one thing I have learned about him and I am learning to accept it. I’m learning to accept that nothing will ever be between us. We can be friends though, if he’s offering. Friends who cuddle.
“Khethiwe can’t go out, aunt said to clean the house.” Where does Amafu enter in my business? I’m expecting an invoice from her, seeing she’s appointed herself as my lawyer.  I give her a reprimanding look that sends her rolling her eyes. I don’t know what her problem is.
“I’m sorry I can’t come out.” I flash Ntaba a warm smile, and get a nod from him.
“I will see you around.” He says.
I don’t think he owes my cousins a goodbye, why is he entertaining them? I offer to walk him to the car, it’s the least I can do after he went all out to get me breakfast.