Chapter 29

MATHONGA-

Do fools know they are fools? I doubt it, this one seated on the passenger seat is looking out the window, whistling. It’s as if nothing happened, as if he didn’t fall like Goliath and tarnished my reputation.
He won’t speak of it, Khothama tried to get answers from him, answers as to why he fainted and my cousin failed the assignment. To say he was disappointed would be an understatement.
“Are you sure you don’t need the hospital?” It’s been too quiet in this car, I miss his voice. Not.
Like a mistletoe, I will hang this over his head for as long as he lives. He will feel my wrath until he meets his ancestors, a punishment for being afraid of innocent Cynthia who, like every girl wanted a piece of him.

“What do I need a hospital for?” Listen to him. He has no right to be frowning at me like that, I have the mind to stop the car and leave him here for being stupid.
“You fainted ndoda.”
“I had a muscle spasm and happened to hit the ground too hard.” Yea right! This one needs prayers, umhlabelo and a mean punch from the woman who carried him. I want to laugh, but I’m driving his car.
“Khethiwe would love to hear about this, how did I forget to take a video?” Shit… I’m so slow it’s disconcerting.
“Mathonga Ngwane kaNgwadi, if I hear any third party repeat today’s events, I will slaughter you and feed you to that bitch Cynthia.” Ntaba.
“Cynthia the dog or Cynthia the ex?” My chuckle is muffled, I’m not doing a good job actually. My chest is on fire, I need to release. “I prefer the dog because…”
“Stop the car,” his command forces me to burst out in laughter. I can’t breathe.
“Thonga stop the car,” he grunts.
What is he doing grabbing the steering wheel?
“We’re going to crash, Ntaba. Stop.” What is he? Five? “Besides, your feet are still dizzy, you can’t drive.”
“This is my car, pull over and get the fuck out.”
“But how will I get home?” I ask with clenched teeth, it’s so hard to stop myself from laughing and it’s getting me into trouble.
“I don’t know, fucking fly, crawl or roll.” He’s a big childish baby. 
“Okay, Okay. I’m sorry Ntaba yami.” Sheesh, he’s a sensitive one. Who would’ve thought?
The bull has been tamed, he’s back to whistling and looking out the window. My eyes dart to his fingers rhythmically tapping on his knees, I thought he was upset.
I can’t, I haven’t had enough. Why didn’t I take a video?
“Does Khethiwe know she’s got competition? I mean Cynthia baby is a looker, did you ever think your soul mate was a dog?” I can’t afford to look his way, I’m pushing the wrong buttons here.
Wait… the loud-childish horse-laugh, head inclined to the side, hand pressed to his stomach and mouth wide open. What is he? A monkey?
Argh! Turns out I pressed the right button. I’m not having a good time anymore, I should be laughing at him while he’s sulking like an annoying spoiled brat.

“That stupid dog will know me one day.” Ntaba says, still laughing, I thought we were angry that side. How can I fail such an easy assignment?
“I hope you’re not going to butcher her like you did Danger, Khothama will chop you to pieces and burry you with your Cynthia.” I tell him.
A quiet laughter leaves my mouth, but his laughter overpowers mine. I’m confused, what kind of a human is this? I’m practising my rights to bully him as his younger brother but the fool is not allowing me. I’m defeated.
“Being a ghost must be nice, it would be an experience of a lifetime.” He says.
That doesn’t make sense, to think he’s well educated. I wouldn’t be shocked if he bought his school results.

I slow down to grab my ringing phone from the dashboard, it’s Amandla. I didn’t tell her I was leaving for Joburg and have not spoken to her in days. I will have to come up with a good excuse before talking to her. My lying skills do not deserve anything good in this world. 
“Why don’t you tell her the truth?” Ntaba asks.
This one is done being a nuisance, that’s why he’s digging his nose into my business.
“The longer you delay, the harder it will be to break things off.”
“I love her,” I admit honestly.
I can’t just rip Amandla out of my heart without any solid reason. I don’t know what I really feel for Nala is compacted neither do I know if she will ever consider me.
“What about Nile?”
“Nala,” I correct Ntaba, he has a bad reputation of being ignorant. Khethiwe was Ntokazi for centuries, but now she dances in his  bed sheets, he must remember her name.
“You’re too young to complicate your life with two women, Thonga. You can’t have the best of both worlds.”
“Sis’Angie, is that you?” He’s stepping in too deep, confusion is not a friend of mine and it’s here right now. I don’t know what he’s trying to say.
“Yey, I’m trying to help you ndoda. Think about it, your life is already a mess. In one hand uhlushwa amathongo, there’s Dalisile on the other. Adding the burden of dating two women would be a mistake. Usemncane Mathonga, make the right choices. You’re going through the most as it is, women are not ice cream, having too much of them will kill you.” He says and I am… I don’t know, emotional maybe. But I refuse to let it show.
“I know bhuti,” I steal a glimpse before giving the road my undivided attention. “I just don’t want to hurt Amandla, she invested so much into our relationship.”
“What, her virginity?” Blunt aren’t we?
A feeble shrug from me answers his question, it’s accompanied by a sigh from him.
“The sex was consensual right?” Why would he ask me this? Of course it was, I would never take advantage of a woman. “Mandi didn’t…” 
“It’s Amandla.”
I’ll pretend Dalisile dropped him when he was a baby. That head of his needs to be checked. How do you forget people’s names?