Chapter 1

Mathonga-
One-

THE KHANYILES

“Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.”
No parent ever wants to hear these words, this is not how things are supposed to go. Parents should not bury their children.
It’s a tough time at the Khanyile household, never in his wildest dreams did Vumile think he would have to bury his fourth and last born.
Vimbela and Sakhile suffocated to death while the other children were being rescued. Fortunately, Mathonga and Vumile were not in that rondavel much to Dalisile’s annoyance.
She threw a tantrum when her husband came running from god knows where, asking her to hold the baby as he wanted to help put the fire out. Of course she declined and one of the women took the task.

Not everyone is invited to the funeral, just family members, they would have invited a few friends but the family is big enough as it is.
When it’s time to throw soil into the graves, Vumile turns to his first born son and extends his hand.
The boy takes a step, his mother pulls him back. She hasn’t left his side since they were rescued by the villagers five days ago. But all Vukuzakhe wants are his brothers, the ones who have left him and the ones he’s left with.
“Ndodana.” Vumile calls again, Vukuzakhe rips himself from his mother’s tight grip.
“My son.” It’s a whisper, Vumile hears it though and scowls at the woman. She’s unbothered, look at her rushing behind her son. As she gets to them, Vumile circles his hand on her bicep and squeezes a little.
“You’re too obvious Dalisile, stop suffocating the boy.” He whispers into her ear, making sure the warning only catches her.
“What did I do?” She asks.
Her face is hidden behind a hideous hat that has a veil, it’s too dramatic for a funeral, maybe it would’ve worked for church… you know something to avoid the pastor when he starts asking for tithes.

“Sakhile and Vimbela are gone, your sons died but you don’t seem to care. You’re hovering around Vukuzakhe as if he’s your only child.” Vumile is fuming.
“Of course I care,” Dalisile growls, she’d yank her hand back but her husband's family is always looking for something to talk about. “They were my kids too, I loved them.”

Her voice says otherwise.

“Pull yourself together, I will not repeat myself.” His word always stands, and she knows it.

The burial goes smooth thereafter, Dalisile keeps a safe distance from Vukuzakhe, her eyes though are stuck on him. Vukuzakhe and Hlabela their ten year old second born are the only kids allowed to attend the funeral. The young ones were appointed a babysitter.

When the extended family members are long gone the family is left to grieve on their own, it’s a cold silent night. Feels like no other, something is missing, they all can feel it including the kids. The youngest are oblivious to what is happening, Ntabezikude, the one who took over from Vimbela on their mother’s breasts keeps shooting the elders with questions. '
“Where is Vimbela? Can I sleep on his bed tonight?” No one has given him a solid answer yet, Vumile cannot bring himself to utter a single word.

The family is gathered in the dining area, his brothers are here to support him. He’s embarrassed that his wife has locked herself in the bedroom, she hasn’t shown her face since the visitors departed.
“Vukuzakhe, take your brothers to bed and check on Mathonga. The babysitter might need something.” Vumile excuses his sons, the room is free of children in seconds.
“Sangweni is going to pay for this.” One of his brothers says, there’s anger in his voice. Vumile frowns at the declaration.
“Do you think it’s them? Would Ongezwa Sangweni have the audacity to enter my premises and challenge me?” It sounds too unbelievable, considering that Vumile is feared in this place.

The Khanyiles and the Sangwenis once had a good relation, that was before Vumile’s grandfather met his demise. He was a man of good character, loved and respected by the community.
His heart had grown fond of an orphan, Thuthuka Sangweni who had no place to call his own. Vumile’s grandfather was generous enough to give him a piece from his land. The deal was that once Thuthuka takes a wife and bears children, he was to move from the land of the Khanyiles and build his family somewhere else.