Chapter 78

NTABEZIKUDE-

Luck is always on his side, he thinks this is it when he sees her walking down the street. He didn’t think she would leave the lodge, it kind of stung when he got home and she wasn’t there. 

Khethiwe spots his car and paces toward the gate, if she goes in there he will lose his opportunity. 

The first time he entered her father’s yard was to convince her to go with him, so she wouldn’t have to sleep outside. The second time he was too snoopy and possessive and the third time was by chance because the folks were not around.  

“KaMandonsela,” he’s out of the car, rushing after her. “Mana phela, Khethi.” (Please wait.) 

He has her wrist in his hand, and spins her around with just a swipe, Khethiwe welcomes him with a look of disgust. 

“Don’t touch me,” she tugs her hand back. 

“Peaches please, listen to me.” Begging is not his strongest point, but beggars can’t be choosers. 

“I’m listening.” She places her hands on her waist with a disinterested look on her face. 

“I was going to come to you, but something happened...” 

Excuses, excuses!  

“What, you had to fly to Johannesburg for a meeting?” She’s being sarcastic, relationships are a full time job that doesn’t come with a salary but 99 problems and a potential heart attack.  

“No, I…” 

“I’m such an idiot Ntaba,” Khethiwe throws her hands up. She keeps finding herself in such situations with this man, when is it going to stop? “I don’t know why I’m holding on to the hope that you will one day change. Why are you this person? Is this your way of retaining me?” 

This is a question she asks herself every night when she’s lying in bed, she loves this man and would move mountains for his. 

She would kill if he were to ask her to, is it so hard for him to see her? She’s here offering her heart on a golden platter, she’s here wanting to be his everything and give him a beautiful life. If only he could let her. 

“Why would you say that?” 

“You leave me alone the entire day with no money or food. A phone would have been nice too.” 

“Okay, you want a phone, I’ll buy you a phone.” He’ll do anything to have her with him, he just has no clue how to navigate around a relationship. Communication is a language he is not fluent in. 

“No, I have my own phone. It’s at home, and it works. I don’t mind you buying things for me, I love people that are willing to spend money on me. But that’s not the case, you don’t take me seriously Ntaba.” 

She’s said these word before, how serious does she want him to take her? He’s trying to be the person she wants him to be, it’s not like he will wake up one day and suddenly be the best man she’s ever known. 

He takes her hands into his, “I really adore you KaMandonsela.” Yeah who doesn’t? That’s not something she wants to hear, sweet nothings lose taste along the way. Khethiwe pulls her hands back and turns to leave. 

“What did I do?” 

What did he do besides being himself? She stops and turns back, the grave expression on her face has him feeling overwhelmed. How does he juggle between his family and this woman whose attention he so desperately needs?