Chapter 65

THE KHANYILES-

The guards were gone this morning, no one knows what that means. They were Ntaba’s people, he appointed them. Ntaba is big on family matters, keeping them safe at all costs. So this move is questioning. He hasn’t shown his face, no one has heard from him. 

Zamangwane is locked in her room, thanks to Nandi. She might as well be a woman scorned, her daughter is surely testing her patience. She’s been screaming and crying, pleading and groveling and Nandi… well her conscious is as dirty as Mfundo’s finger nails. 

Mfundo was sent back home this morning, without his precious wife or an explanation. When the Chief speaks, people listen. 

Vumile has so much on his plate, his sons are not home, and his daughter is a rebel. If old age doesn’t take him out, stress will. 

He’s slouched on his bed entertaining thoughts of his daughter when he hears screaming outside… Darn it! 

“What is it now?” He curses under his breath. 

Khahlamba is definitely living up to his promises to destroy. He’s out the door in a flash, eyes widely searching the grounds.

“Dalisile!” Yep! The rightful queen is home and so is his first born son. 

“Are you trying to kill me, Vukuzakhe?” He hears his wife shout when he’s within earshot. By the looks of it, Vukuzakhe has done something to heavily annoy this woman and where the hell has she been? He’d ask, but there’s an issue at hand that needs to be dealt with. Dalisile can’t be shouting like a crazy woman for no reason. 

“Keep your voice down mother.” He’d throw in “please” if Dalisile was not attacking him like this. Funokuhle is inside, shaking under his skin and afraid to bat an eye lest he meets Dalisile’s fiery gaze. 

“Vukuzakhe?” Vumile calls, eyes glowing with adoration. His son is home, he can’t express how much he’s missed him. His arms wrap around him before he receives a greeting from him.

“Welcome home son.” 

“Thank you baba.” 

Dalisile is not enjoying the little reunion, she wants answers. 

“Did you know that your son is gay?” She’s still shouting, Vumile sighs. He’s been afraid of this, he thought Vukuzakhe would wake up a changed man. 

“I’m not gay.” Vukuzakhe disputes, and that confuses the hell out of Dalisile. 

“Really? Then how do you explain kissing that dirty boy?” Her hand flings towards the car. 

“Choose your words carefully mother,” it’s not a threat, he’s just… okay it is a threat. Funokuhle has no one, the last thing Zakhe will ever do is let people trash talk the man he loves. 

“Vukuzakhe?” Vumile starts, eyes directed to the boy in the car. “Why is he here?” 

“He’s with me baba.” So is Bongiwe, his wife. She’s been with him for more than three years.

“I get that he’s with you,” Vumile sighs, being a father is exhausting. If there was a way, he’d resign with immediate effect. “What is he doing here? This is your wife’s marital home.” 

Dalisile is beside herself with shock, this is not the family she left behind. What in God’s name is happening here? 

“Vumile!” Her eyebrows pucker with confusion, her husband has not met her eyes. Perhaps this is the time to shut up and go say a prayer before coming before the chief.