Chapter 37

MATHONGA-
Thirty-seven

THE KHANYILES-

Mathonga is on panic mode, his heart is going crazy in his chest and he has no idea how to make it stop. Nala can’t reject him too, he won’t be able to handle it. It’s bad enough that Dalisile made him feel that he’s not worthy of being loved.
His escape is short lived as someone grips his arm, he whips his head back around and meets his brother’s livid face.
“Uyaphi?” (Where are you going?)
The grip is too tight, he can feel Ntaba’s rage piercing right through him. He drops his head before deciding to be brave and look his brother in the eye.
“Nala is gone bhuti, I have to go after her.” She’s all he thinks about, it can’t be healthy that he’s become so attached to a woman he’s known for a few weeks.
“What is wrong with you, huh? Did you not hear anything that was said here?”
Seriously, if they continue pissing Ntaba off, it might not end well.
“You are not going anywhere, do you hear me, Mathonga? Do you want to join Vukuzakhe in the hospital? What if you die?” Ntaba questions his stupidity.
“All for a woman?” That’s Khothama’s 2 cents, Mathonga lets out a disgruntled sigh and turns back to his seat.
He knows what’s at stake if he goes out there, their enemies have probably turned the village upside down, seeking revenge. And Nala… Nala is alone out there.
“I knew there was something going on between you and that girl.” Vumile adds, sending a disapproving frown to his son. “What happened that one from church? Are you two-timing them, Mathonga?”

Mathonga buries his face in his hands, this cannot be happening to him. The last thing he needs is a lecture from his father, he stands and walks out with slumped shoulders.
“What is going on in this household? People are doing as they please.” Vumile complains, not everyone can stand him when he starts complaining.
Ntaba and khothama move in one accord, they bump shoulders at the door but make it out of the house in time to escape Vumile’s protests.

“I know men who can help us take down those dogs, I’m going to make a few calls.” Khothama says.
On that note, Ntaba has a few people he can appoint as guards.

“Ntaba,” The feminine voice takes Ntaba away from his conversation with Khothama. He tilts his head to see Kethiwe from his vintage point, standing just feet away from them. She crosses her arms while holding her elbows.
Khothama strolls away with nothing but a head shake and a smirk dancing at the corner of his mouth.
“KaMandonsela.” Ntaba recognises her.
Her stomach bottoms out at the foreign name calling. What does this this mean? He can be unpredictable, it annoys her sometimes.
“KaMandonsela is my father and my brothers.” She replies with a frown. Ntaba’s eyebrows pinch together as he tries for a smile, he sees right through this girl it’s not even a joke. 
It scares him that she dares to stand in front of him with love bursting through her.
“What’s going on?” He shoves his hands in the pockets of his track pants, distancing himself. His cold eyes wander across her body, assessing her from head to toe.

“Everyone is… getting protection. What about me?” She brings the question forth.
There’s an unwelcome blush rising up Khethiwe’s cheeks, she looks away from his investigative gaze, his dark eyes that give nothing away.
“What about you, Khethi?” He asks, as he raises his brows.
“Do I not matter?” She mumbles, clearing her throat and shying away from his deep stare.
He knows what this is about, why she is desperate for his attention.  
“What do you want from me?” A question he already knows the answer to.
“To treat me like I matter.” She gives him a probing look as she waits for him to answer her, until she can’t look into his blank eyes anymore.
“We agreed that no strings attached. Don’t ruin this Khethiwe?”
“I’m not asking you to marry me, Ntaba. I simply want you to make me feel worth it. Like you did last night, for a moment I was convinced that you...”
Her statement is left open, she is not brave enough to fill in the blanks.
“That I love you?” But Ntaba is. “I was at my lowest, I needed a good fuck and you were there.”
That’s all he ever wants, to fuck. It shouldn’t come as a big surprise, but for some reason it does. She wants to hate him and curse him to death, but she can’t. God is her witness, she loves this fool standing before her.
“Why are you like this, Ntaba? Why are you afraid to love and be loved?”