Chapter 81

NALA- 

Had I known the intimate moment I had with Mathonga would be a trigger, I never would have allowed him to touch me in that way. 

It started with the dreams, then flash backs of the nights Petros would force himself on me. He’s back and haunting me. 

He’s everywhere, his thick scent on my skin, his soul is tangled with mine and his body is pressed against mine. I can still feel him, especially when I lie in bed at night. 

How do I get rid of him? 

Talking to a qualified stranger about it is not helping, it might work for others. It takes me back to those nights, sometimes his scent randomly swooshes past my nostrils, and I instantly become paranoid and attentive to my surroundings.

Ninety percent of the time I keep myself busy, it works as a defence mechanism and helps me forget a little. 

Zitha is driving me back home after a day spent with her, we haven’t received the DNA results yet, but she treats me like her sister. I’m enjoying the attention I’m getting from her. 

“I had fun today,” I introduce. 

“We can do it again tomorrow.” Zitha has so much time in her hands, she’s not like any other ordinary mom. Perhaps it could be that her husband is hands-on with their kid. 

“I can’t tomorrow, Thobani has a therapy session.” 

“Oh, I can take you guys. What time is it?”  

I want to tell her to stay home and spend time with Buhle, I’ve been too selfish with her. I haven’t met him yet, she’s shown me pictures. The three of them look like a happy bunch. 

“Don’t worry about it, transport is sorted.” I kindly decline her offer, I don’t want her family thinking I’m taking her from them. 

“Where is he?” I ask, and the smile on her face disperses. She knows who I’m talking about.

Curiosity has not let me rest since I found out that we could be sisters, Zitha hasn’t said anything about the man who might have fathered me, so why not ask? 

“He’s around and not worth it,” she says it like he is a huge obstacle in her path. 

“Why? What did he do?” 

“Tshilidzi is a closed subject, we don’t talk about him.” The tone she uses is infinitely dismissive. 

Tshilidzi must have messed up to be hated by his own daughter. My mother never talked about my father, maybe I was too young to remember.

Suddenly we hear a loud bang, Zitha instantly stops the car. 

“What was that?” I’m panicking, while she looks relaxed. I don’t remember her having a strong drink today, why is she so calm? 

“I think I hit something, I’ll go check.” She dashes out of the car, the road is not so busy. Rush hour has come and gone with the hours. 

After checking for any incoming cars, I leave the vehicle to join Zitha. I find her standing in front of an unconscious woman on the ground, there is so much blood on her I can’t tell where the wound is. It can’t be from the accident, it wasn’t that loud a bang. 

“I think she’s dead,” she’s panicking now. 

“We have to get her to the hospital, let’s bring her to the car.” My idea could get us into trouble with the police, but it’s the only way to find out if the woman is still alive.