Chapter 13

MATHONGA-  

Over the course of four weeks, my mind has not been with me. My spirit is down, and no matter what I do I can’t seem to stop thinking about Nala.
She’s nowhere to be found, I’ve been to that house a number of times only to find it empty, or the people who live there just won’t open for me?
The lingering worry refuses to dissipate, Nala is in trouble. I just know it. My instincts are never wrong. It’s not something that came to me in a dream, but something I feel deep inside.

I need to find her, I guess worrying about her has put a strain in my relationship with Amandla. She complains a lot lately, mostly about how I’m not spending time with her.

My plate is full, and I also have to worry about my ancestors giving me the silent treatment. I don’t know what I did wrong.
There are hours missing from my life, hours when I was unconscious. Something happened to me during that time, I keep thinking they will show me in a dream, but no one has come forth yet. I’m starting to think they have deserted me.
Maybe it’s time I tell baba about them, that they exist. Remind him how he used to acknowledge them. The risky part about this is that he will dismiss the thought and ask me to abandon them. 

“No we are not merging with the Chinese, we don’t do business with outsiders.” Zakhe’s voice snaps me out of my brown study.
We’re in the cosmic boardroom, this meeting has been going on since morning, it’s almost lunchtime and I am dead tired.
Hlabela and Ndlela still look refreshed, they love everything business.
Ntabezikude is a lucky bastard, he’s allowed to lie on the couch during a meeting. Okay, maybe not allowed, he does whatever he wants because he can. A crisp white shirt and jeans do not count as formal.
Baba and Zakhe have warned him about his casual wear on a work day, their objections have fallen on deaf ears.
He looks painfully bored while fondling the screen of his phone.

Did I mention that my ass feels numb from sitting on this swivel chair for longer than an ass should? Someone must be sued for this.

“I hear you, Ngwane, but merging with them will put Khanyile Holdings on the map. State Grid Corporation is by far the largest utility in the world. The entity maintained the number 2 position in 2017, just behind Walmart.” Ndleleni steps in.

A yawn follows his statement. It’s Ntaba, he’s carelessly flapping his big feet, touching the edge of the armrest.
“What’s Walmart? Can we talk about things we’re familiar with, please?”
Really, he would know what Walmart is if he were invested in this company as much as everyone here.
“Vele you don’t know what it is, bhinca.” (Village boy)
I tell him, just to get myself out of the boredom I’m trapped in. This meeting is mind-numbing as hell.
“Ntaba focus please. We’re in a meeting, not a chillas. Sit up, will you?” Zakhe can be strict, and Ntaba does not care. 
“Sorry,” Ntaba says and makes zero effort to move even a bit.

“Ubaba has a different vision for this company, merging with the Chinese will be going against what he believes in, Ubuntu. Khanyile Holdings creates opportunities for black owned businesses, we take care of our own.” Hlabela, the black Jesus.
This one must have made it on planet earth by default.
“What happened to Dlozi InCorp?” Zakhe.
“Mr. Mkhize cancelled the meeting due to personal reasons.” Zakhe’s assistant says, he looks as tired as I am. 
“Explain, Godswill.” Zakhe.

Godswill is his name. I’d slap my parents for giving me a name like that. Apparently his father, a Zulu man found himself a Nigerian woman and the rest is a story to tell his future generation. 

“It’s his son’s birthday sir.” Godswill replies, scrolling through the notepad in his hand.

“That’s incompetence.” Zakhe sounds affronted, it all has to do with the meeting being cancelled. He takes business too seriously… my brother. “Get me that meeting with him as soon as possible.”

“It will be hard to get a hold of him.”
“Don’t give me excuses Godswill, get me a meeting with Mr. Mkhize. This meeting is adjourned.”