Chapter 35

MATHONGA-
Thirty-five

FUNOKUHLE-

Birds should be banned from the world, how are they allowed to make noise so early in the morning. Not everyone is a morning person, if only I had stone.
A sigh leaps past my lips as I sit up from the bed, the morning light is bursting through the open curtains. It’s only now I notice the windows are open as well.
Someone was in here. My mind wavers a little, and I find myself drifting into a world of worry. It doesn’t last long because I snap myself back to reality, it’s the next day and I’m still alive.

The truck driver didn’t give me his name, nor did he converse much throughout the trip.
The only thing I got from him was a name of the person who was to give me shelter while in Joburg, this he did after finding out that I had no place to lay my head. He dropped me off outside this house. I don’t know where this is, I’m not entirely familiar with places in Johannesburg.
There was a man waiting outside the gate when we arrived last night, I was a bit creeped out by his dark appearance. His black clothing gave off a dangerous aura, Kenneth is what the truck driver called him. He left me with him and departed like the stranger he was.
There’s a small clock on the side of the bed, it’s a few minutes after 7am.
Thankfully the room has a small bathroom, I make use of it and change back into the same clothing I had on.

Someone tickles my door, it swings open revealing a little boy around the age of 4 and 5 in a denim jumpsuit. Around his shoulders is a Spiderman, baby blanket, worn as a cape might be, as if it gives him superpowers. 
“Hello,” his tiny voice sends a smile to my face. “Mama says come eat.”
He’s out the door before I collect my vocabulary.
There’s a narrow corridor just outside the guest room that leads towards a flight of stairs. The boy must’ve ran, he’s nowhere in sight. It’s not hard to find the dining room, I can see the family from the stairway seated around the table filled with food.
The lounge is beautiful, turquoise sofas, with mustard cushions stand out the most. There’s a pallet coffee table that blends perfectly with the furniture.
The grey walls hold picture frames of what I assume is Kenneth’s family, he’s in one of them. A large portrait featuring him, the little boy who was in my room and a woman, I assume is his wife. Most of the pictures are of her and the boy.
As I approach, the same woman dressed in a short, casual sundress smiles, showcasing her perfect white teeth. She has a calmness to her, sophisticated and carries herself with confidence.

“Morning... Funokuhle right?” She’s bursting with positive energy, I answer her question with a head nod. “I’m Zithobile, but you can call me Zitha. Kenneth says you’re a friend of a friend, I guess that makes you our friend. Make yourself at home, don’t be afraid to ask for anything.”
She must be talking about the truck driver, he didn’t give me a chance to thank him for his kindness.   
My eyes flicker to Kenneth on the chair, his focus is exclusively on the little boy, feeding him what appears to be porridge. I figure Kenneth is not a morning person, then again, he didn’t say much to me last night.
Zitha gleams once more, before embracing me in a warm hug. Her rosy scent permeates my nostrils. The hug feels a bit awkward, I won’t lie.
“I’m sorry, forgive my forwardness. We never have guests, it feels good to have some company.”
“What about us? Are you going to fanboy over him and pretend Buhle and I don’t exist.” Kenneth’s voice is quite deeper than I expected, it lacks emotion which makes it hard for me to point what he’s feeling. Zithobile takes my hand as she bubbles with giggles.
“Don’t mind him, he thinks sharing is a disease.” She articulates, pulling a chair for me to sit.
“I’ll get you something to drink, please sit. This is home, sit back and relax.” I’m overwhelmed by her kindness to a point where I feel ashamed for invading their space. People don’t randomly house strangers, what did that man say to Kenneth for him to agree to this arrangement?
I’m left with Kenneth and Buhle when Zithobile strides to the kitchen.