Chapter 61

NALA- 

“Nala, Nala.” I’m barely halfway into a deep sleep when I hear Mathonga’s cries of anguish, his hand clutching my thigh. I reach for the lamp over the bedside table and flick the light on. 

Pearls of sweat have built tiny houses on his body, he’s tossing and turning, his arm gript on his lower torso.

“Thonga, what’s wrong?”   

“I’m not okay, Nala. ” He delivers, shuffling to lie on his stomach.  

“What’s wrong?” Please don’t let it be that old woman again, she is not kind at all. She went mute after voicing her concerns, apparently Mathonga needs to go back home and talk to his fathers. He also needs to report his comings and goings whenever he plans on travelling. Bambindlovu asked if Mathonga could slaughter a chicken to appease her, get her to calm down or something like that, and she went mute on us. I swear that woman is still getting her periods in the afterlife. 

Bambindlovu and Liyana are sleeping over, just in case she decides to come back.

I place a hand on Mathonga’s forehead to check his temperature, he’s burning up. 

“It hurts, my stomach, I can’t take the pain.” Mathonga exclaims, burying his face in the pillow as he tosses in agony. Shivers run down my back as a scream pipes out of his mouth, it’s muffled due to his face pressed onto the pillow.  

“What’s wrong? Mathonga you’re scaring me.”  

I don’t want to panic, it’s the first time seeing him twisting in pain. I hate it, I don’t want the picture to play anymore. I think of screaming for help, not wanting to leave him alone. But there are kids in the house, Thobani in the room next door ours, Styles’ kid is not far from us as well. 

I leave Mathonga writhing in bed and dash out to find Bambindlovu, the old woman seems to listen to him. I find him and his wife cuddled on the couch, I’m sure they are tired of us. Ndleleni must’ve gone to sleep, Styles and Sethu must have turned in too. 11pm is on duty, it's understandable.

“He’s in pain.” I report, feeling a little diffident. Liyana sighs, chasing her husband’s gaze. They walk past me, giving me no hint to follow them but I do. 

We arrive to Mathonga curled up on the bed, groaning in pain. Liyana and I stand back, watching Bambindlovu examine him. He turns to me, his eyes giving away nothing.  

“Squeeze seven lemons into a cup, and boil the juice using a pot. Once it starts simmering, add three salt stones, a teaspoon of oil then bring it here.” Bambindlovu. 

That sounds easy, I know my way around Sethu’s kitchen. The task takes me about, plus, minus twenty minutes, thanks to the juice maker. 

Bambindlovu prays over the remedy before helping Mathonga consume it.  

“It’s nothing to worry about, he’ll be fine, let him rest.” Bambindlovu.

I want to ask what’s going on with him, but I’m afraid he will mention the ancestors. Mathonga needs a break from them. 

“Keep an eye on him.” Bambindlovu says, giving me a pat on the shoulder before taking his wife’s hand and walking out with her. 

Mathonga is suffering, I can tell the pain has not lessened. He’s lying on his side, long legs brought to his chest and arms pining them there.     

“You’ll be okay baby, don’t think about the pain okay.” I comfort him, trusting Bambindlovu’s words. He wouldn’t lie to us, and I’ve noticed how serious he takes Mathonga’s journey.