Chapter 88

KHETHIWE- 

“I leave for a second and you become a drama queen,” he hands me a glass of water. I place it on the bedside table and fold my arms across my chest. 

“You have to drink to keep hydrated, unless you want to pass out again.” Ntaba doesn’t understand anything, I don’t want anything going into my stomach. 

He sighs and sits on the bed next to me when I don’t reply. 

“Khethiwe, I know you’re terrified. But you need to drink something, I don’t want to worry about you.” 

What does he mean he doesn’t want to worry about me? 

“I thought you’re always worried about me, what are you saying now?” 

He throws his head back laughing, the last I remember we don’t have comedians in my family. 

“Does fear turn you into this dramatic person?” Him. 

Dramatic? I’m offended, there is nothing wrong with me wanting him to worry about me. I want him to have sleepless nights thinking of me, heck I want him obsessed with me. 

He takes the glass from the table and tries to make me drink, he didn’t hear what I said…

“Ntaba don’t give it water, let’s wait for Bab’Manyanga to get here first.” There’s a lump in my throat I’m trying to push down, my hands are shaking.  

Mathonga called Bab’Manyanga, it’s been too long. I’m starting to worry if he will come or not, I can’t go another day with this thing inside me.

“Turning me against my kid already? Shame on you Khethi.” He’s frowning and I get the feeling he’s judging my parenting skills… shit, what am I saying? 

“Ntaba don’t do that, don’t plant thoughts in my head. This thing inside me is evil.” I’m an over thinker, sometimes I entertain things that will send me to hell. 

The last thing I want is to think of this thing as my child, unwanted thoughts can be like a bad song on replay in your head. 

“It’s a joke,” why is he not laughing then? People laugh after saying it’s a joke. “I’m trying to lighten up the mood, you’re too sour Peaches.” 

Does this guy know how sacred a woman’s womb is? How will my children feel when they find out they shared a womb with a frog? 

He should be telling me how he was released from prison instead. 

“How did they let you go?” I ask. 

I’d do anything to get my focus elsewhere, his face scrunches into a deep frown. I know that look, he doesn’t want to talk about it. 

“I was let go,” he sighs and takes his gaze to the open window. “They let me go, just like that.”  

“Your ancestors came through for you Ntaba, you’re out because of them.” 

“I know, Mathonga told me.” His eyes are looking at me again. 

I don’t need to know anything more, he’s here and that’s all that matters. I’m not sure about that look on his face but I think he’s feeling lonely, so I take his hand into mine. 

“I’m happy we’re together again, thank you for coming back to me.” He needs to know I love having him around. 

This is the part where he tells me he missed me and almost died without me, I’m expecting kisses and a long hug and tears to make it look real.