Chapter 23

VUKUZAKHE-

It’s a little after 1pm, the doctor discharged her. The walk to the parking lot is a silent affair, he hasn’t asked her anything nor volunteered to speak. She’s settled in a wheelchair, her bag on her lap and eyes cast forward.
Zakhe helps her up when they get to the car, he opens the passenger door and waits for her to get in, a frown forms on his face when she doesn’t move.
“Are you gay?” She’s looking at him with a condemning gaze. Her question was expected, he just didn’t think it would be here, in public.
“Can we talk about this at home? Please,” please is not a very common word used between them. Over the years, they have taken each other for granted, they acted more like enemies than a married couple.
“I want to know now.” Feisty! 
“I’m not.” He replies, without sounding the least happy about his answer.
“Then, what were you doing with him?” Bongiwe is persistent, which frustrates her husband. He shifts his eyes around for any eavesdroppers. He feels uncomfortable talking about this.
“I’m not doing this here, get in the car.” He says, his tone dismissive.
He grabs her arm and tries to gently help her into the car, Bongiwe squirms in his hold.
“Let me go, Ngwane.”
They get a few looks from civilians who are passing by, it has him loosening his grip. Judgemental looks crowning him an abuser.
“Don’t do this here, Bongiwe.”
He sees an argument coming, Bongiwe has no timing. If her clock says now, then now it is.
“Let’s go home, I will explain everything there.”
“What is there to explain, Vukuzakhe? You’re cheating on me with a man. I lost my baby because of you and that… that faggot.”
Her words feel like hands latching around his throat, making it hard for him to breathe.
“Keep him out of this.” Anger simmers within him, her thoughtless words have his pulse running. Her eyes widen at his scolding, this she did not expect.
“You still defend him after what he did?” She mumbles, her tears are such a show off. Instead of wiping her tears away, Vukuzakhe leaves her standing there and marches to the driver’s side. He gives her one final look before getting into the car.

He turns on the engine and waits for his stubborn woman to get in. Bongiwe has a good mind not to, but this is not the village.  
The door closes with a loud bang after she’s settled in the seat, Zakhe gives her an odd stare as he drives off. It’s peaceful for a while, thank the heavens. If they keep this up, they will make it home alive.

Silence is golden, but cell phones are not manufactured to know that. His phone is ringing, escaping this call is impossible. Vumile would bite his head off, it’s lunchbreak at church and he’s using this time to call him. Yes they get lunch lunchbreaks before the second service. Unluckily for him, the phone is connected to the Bluetooth speaker.
“Vukuzakhe.” He sighs at the sound of his father’s voice. Dalisile and Nandi are not doing their jobs, the chief has too much time in his hands. 
“Yebo baba.”
“What is this I hear? You wife lost the baby?” It’s not really a question. By the sound of it, Vumile is fully informed. Bongiwe is like a bat, you never see her coming. She hasn’t left his side but the news of the miscarriage has made it to KZN.
A crown for her majesty! 
Zakhe steals a glance to find her glaring at him. It’s a good thing looks don’t kill.
“Yebo baba, she did.” Zakhe murmurs.
“Is she okay?” Vumile seems to worry more about Bongiwe than anyone else. Keeping her in the family must be that important.
“She is fine baba, we’ll be home tomorrow. Travelling a long distance is not ideal, she needs to recover.” His grip tightens on the steering wheel, he’s rapidly blinking. Bongiwe notices the emotional war her husband is battling and huffs at how dramatic he can be.
The call is ended simply because Vumile would not stop asking about his daughter in-law. 

Bongiwe slumps back on the chair, and crosses her arms. Tears have dried on her face. She feels more angry than hurt, it’s the way Zakhe has not shown the same emotions as she has for their loss.
“I don’t know what’s happening between the two of us, Ngwane. We used to be close.” Bongiwe starts, she knows her silence means his silence. Zakhe is a man who rarely expresses himself.
“I’m still here, Bongiwe. You’re the one who drifted.” Zakhe.
“I drifted because you changed, and I feared losing you. You built walls around you, I couldn’t stand being in the dark. So, I wanted to destroy those walls and the only way I knew how was to fight. I was convinced you wanted out.” She would unleash in storms of anger and frustration if life was not drained out of her. 
“You should have told me how you felt Bongiwe, but you constantly pushed me away with your violence and vile words.”
“That’s because you never listen to me. Don’t you think I tried? You are selfish Ngwane, you only see yourself. I am your wife, but I relentlessly have to fight to get your attention.” Not this again. “I needed you, Ngwane, and you were busy chasing men.”  

He’s shaking his head, more than once. These constant arguments are tiring. He feels like he is losing his mind, it’s messing with his brain.