74. Three Seconds

If you go down
Then we go down together
If you hold on
I might just stay forever
If you get hurt
I'll try to make it better
If you go down, then we go down together
-Dove Cameron, Khalid

Shoupe returned from his night out, and sighed when he noticed JJ's empty bed. It was just past midnight and there was no noise that could be heard. Surprisingly, he also clocks that the door between the rooms is open. Taking a hesitant step into the Carrera girl's room he glances around the space, illuminated softly by the bathroom light that was peaking through a crack in the door.

He's half expecting them to not be there if he's honest. He'd basically given them a free night when he left to do his own thing. It seemed like a good idea at the time, seemed like everyone needed some time with people in their own age bracket. Not to mention JJ had some apologizing to do, and Shoupe didn't think he wanted to do that with him around the corner.

Upon initially finding an empty room, he begins to wonder if his judgement was off. Then he finds a breath of relief when his eyes adjust to the dim light.

Instead of an empty room he sees the pair laying on the bed, JJ holding her back to his chest, while his face is buried in her hair. They're at least completely clothed. Maybe he didn't fail as hard as he gambled.

JJ lifts his head abruptly, sensing someone else in the room, and flexing his arms around Kie's middle a little tighter than he had been in his sleep. Shoupe is quick to raise his hands and whisper that it's just him, watching JJ relax as he comes more fully to consciousness.

"What happened?" Shoupe asks, nodding towards the splinted hand that was resting against the side of the bed where it wouldn't be disturbed in slumber.

JJ grins with a mixture of pride and amusement. "She punched Daniel," he whispers animatedly. "Fucking dislocated her thumb."

Shoupe's eye brows raise. "She need to go in?" he asks, wondering why he didn't receive a phone call earlier.

"Nah," he assures. "I reset it."

"You what?" Shoupe says more audibly, causing JJ to shush him and stroke his girlfriend's side when she stirs momentarily from the unexpected increase in volume.

Shoupe decides it's a conversation they can have tomorrow. It's definitely a story he's not only interested in but will need to know if he's to be able to explain what happened to her parents when they return to the OBX.

"It cool if I just stay in here? She's kinda got me pinned," JJ whispers, indicating to the Carrera girl who's laying over his arm, still sleeping.

Shoupe nods, watching JJ look over the girl beside him. He's not even gonna pretend this isn't the thousandth time they've shared a bed. Some fights just aren't worth it. Pick your battles, Shoupe.

He walks back through the doorway, pausing only to swing it wide open and fixing JJ with a squint that makes the boy chuckle.

Got keep some rules.

———————————————————————

The next day is the semi finals and not to be petty, but JJ had been looking for Daniel all morning. He wanted to see his busted face. They weren't in the same pool during the semi finals but he was able to spot him after he'd come in. He grinned widely at the purple bruise that laid over his cheek.

"You did that," he praises into Kie's ear, drawing her attention to the other surfer.

"Stop," she chides softly. He just kisses her cheek affectionately.