2. So You're Dating JJ Maybank

I wasn't looking for this
Now I don't want this to end
Lying on the kitchen floor
Feeling all the side effects
I had it all together
Now you make me such a wreck
-Carlie Hanson

Monday morning Kiara woke and rolled out of bed. She quickly grimaced in pain. She had been avoiding sleeping on her right side simply because it was excruciating to do so but in her haste to get ready for school, for seeing JJ again, she completely forgot about it before it was too late.

She pushed through the pain and got dressed. It was a sunny morning and the temps were continuing to edge their way up as they entered spring with summer fastly approaching. She threw on her bikini and went to grab a pair of shorts and t-shirt.

Anna entered her room as she was pulling up her shorts. "Goodness Kiara," she said walking over to her daughter. In a surprising display of tenderness from an otherwise cold woman, Anna placed a hand on her shoulder and examined Kiara's side.

Kiara's own eyes followed her mothers trail. She noticed the bruising yesterday but didn't think too much of it, other than it was going to make sleep difficult.

"I'm alright, Mom," Kiara said, breaking Anna's fixation as she pulled her t-shirt over her head.

Anna nodded as she took a step back, her hard exterior coming back up as she remembered the reason she came in Kiara's room in the first place. She cleared her throat and Kiara already knew what she was going to say.

"Kiara, we just want what's best for you," Anna started. Kiara loudly sighed and rolled her eyes, turning to grab her belongings. "Hanging around JJ Maybank is not what's best for you."

Kiara ignored her. They've been having this argument all weekend. Kiara wished they could just agree to disagree but Anna would not let it go.

No matter how much Kiara tried to point out all the good things about him, they just didn't believe her. She even learned that JJ called them when she was being taken to the hospital, a detail Mike let slip out in the heat of the moment while trying to flip the accident on him. Kiara was quick to point out how difficult that all must've been for everyone and that JJ didn't run. He stayed and made it a priority that her parents knew where she was. They wouldn't concede though. The Maybank name being the only evidence they needed to deem him unfit for a friend and absolutely out of the question for a boyfriend.

"I'm not talking with you about him anymore, Mom." Anna pursed her lips. She was frustrated but let it go since the morning was being quickly eaten up and Kiara had school. Anna knew they didn't have time for round one hundred.

"We'll talk later," she said with tight finality.

Kiara rolled her eyes as she walked out the door and started making her way down the street. She didn't have a car anymore and her parents didn't have time to drop her off. That's why they had gotten her a car before, to make getting around without them easier. Of course they meant the getting around to be things like school and socialite events, not macking with JJ, so Kiara doubted she'd be getting another one anytime soon.

She rounded the corner and clocked him immediately. Leaning against his bike, cargo shorts, navy t-shirt and crossed combat boots. His red snapback was backwards. He was looking down at his phone but quickly looked up when he heard her approach. He smiled wide and Kie's heart flipped.

"I was 'bout to text you," he said as she walked up to him. She immediately wrapped her arms around him and it took him half a second to return her affection, still getting used to the fact that she was expressing it so freely. What would the neighbors think?