49. Truth

J O S H

My leg bounces all the way to the hospital, and I bite my lip. I am so nervous about the outcome of this visit to Zach. As much as I hate what Zach did to me, my gut is telling me that we are missing something here. Ryder puts his hand on my leg and it still as I look towards him. "I might lose my cool." That's an understatement of the century. He has already beaten him up once and his first encounter with Zach he looked like he wanted to kill him then too. I put my hand on top of his and he entwines them together. 

"I'll be right there with you." I tighten my grip in his and once he pulls into the hospital he looks around and then leans over and kisses me roughly, not that I am complaining. I love it when he is domineering but also, I love the sweet side of him.  There is a pounding on the window, and I jump back to see River looking at us amused as Ryder growls out in frustration. "We will continue this later." I give him a wink and get out of the truck.

I almost tumble back when I see Kat. I hesitantly take a step towards her, but she pulls me into her, and I hug her tight. "I missed you." I whisper into her neck. "I missed you too Joshy Pooh." When we pull back, I wipe the tears that have fallen from her eyes.

"What the fuck were you thinking of bringing her Riv?" We turn our attention to the brooding men glaring at each other.

"I told him too." Ryder turns his attention to Kat and his expression softens. "I need to know. I need this...I need closure some way." She puts her hand on his chest, and he takes a deep breath then nods his head.

"If it becomes too much for her, she is leaving." River gives her a look and she rolls her eyes.

"What the stubborn mule said."

"I'm...you know what never fucking mind. Let's get this shit over with. Can't wait til I am deployed." River mumbles as he storms off ahead of us. Kat links arms with me as we walk into the hospital.

"Giving him a hard time."

"Please." She rolls her eyes as we walk into the hospital. "He's insufferable. I swear he watches me like a damn hawk and its damn right creepy."

"He's just worried."

Kat lives out a sarcastic laugh. "Please, he would abandon this notion that he has to protect me, us if he didn't promise my husband." Her voice falters a little, but she sucks in a breath.  River turns to look at us and we stop walking. I look around and wonder how the hell we got in front of this door so fast.

"You will not say anything to him." He stares right at Kat. "This is already risky in your condition."

"You're an idiot River Fox. I am pregnant not impuissant."

"No shit!" He takes a deep breath and looks at me and Kat. "Let Ryder or I get to the bottom of this."

"He will most likely not talk with everyone in there." I say, I know Zach and he is a stubborn ass.

We walk in and the sight in front of me almost has me stumbling back. Zach is hooked up to so many wires, he looks deathly pale and when his eyes land on us they widen in fear. I step closer but Ryder grabs my arm shaking his head.

"He is scared, Cowboy, we need him to calm down if you want answers." I move away from his hold and move closer. "It's okay Zach we are not going to hurt you."

"Speak for yourself." I hear Kat mumble and I give her a warning look. I can tell she is barely holding on and we have only been in here a minute or two at the most.

"We just need some answers." 

He shakes his head and I see his eyes get watery. "I didn't do it. I swear I didn't do it." He grabs ahold of my arm and holds on tight. Ryder steps forward but I hold out my hand to stop him.