58

The year was 1986, and Van Halen was on the 1986 Tour with Sammy Hagar. The guys had finished playing at Shreveport, Louisiana. It was about 11:00 at night and Ed had gone out to a bar with the guys to celebrate their first tour stop and Beth had gone back to the hotel they were staying at. A few hours later.. Beth was sitting on the couch and there was pounding on the door. She got up to check it out. Me: Who is that?? Ed: OPEN THE DOOR!! Me: Ed is that you? Ed: YES, OPEN THE DOOR!!! Me: Ok, ok. *Ed came in and was obviously drunk, and Beth was trying to calm him down.* Me: Ed why don’t you sit down and I’ll get you a cup of coffee. Ed: I do not need coffee! Where is the alcohol?? Me: I got rid of it. Ed: WHAT??? WHY DID YOU DO THAT?? I had never seen him like this, it was really scaring me. Me: We agreed you would stop drinking honey! That’s why I got rid of it. *Ed grabbed me and started shaking me. I was really glad Kurt was staying with my mom* Ed: BETH!!! WHY DID YOU DO THAT?? WHY! *I had started to cry, but I was trying not to show it* Me: I...I don’t know! Please Ed...calm down! Ed: GET OUT OF MY WAY! *Ed threw me down hard, and was walking out the door* Me: Ed? Ed where are you going? Ed: To get some alcohol!! *I started to get up* Ed turned around and pointed his finger at me. Ed: STAY THERE!!!!! *He slammed the door and left me alone. I was shaking terribly and had started to sob. I didn’t see Ed until the next afternoon.*