57

The year was early 1978 and the guys were recording their first album, Van Halen. We had just woke up at 5:30 because the phone was ringing. Ed picked up the phone. Ed: Ugh...hello? Al: Hey Ed!!! Ed: Why the heck are you calling Al? Al: Dave, Mike and I decided to start recording our first album. Ed: Now??? Al: YEA!!! Ed rolled his eyes. Ed: Ok. Beth and I will be there in a little bit. Al: Ok see ya! Me: Where are we going to now?? Ed: The guys want to start recording an album. Me: Do I have to come along? Ed: Al wants you to. Me: Ok I guess. *We drove over to the studio and walked in* Al: Hey guys!! Ed: Hey Al. Me: Good morning Al. Dave and Mike: Morning guys! Me: Hey guys. Ed: Hi. *The guys walked into the sound booth and were warming up. I had gone behind to watch them and Ed had started playing a guitar solo. It started out quietly, but then the sound that was coming out of his guitar was crazy! The sound booth guy had accidentally been recording it.* Dave: Man that was CRAZY!!!!! Ed: Really? Dave, Mike and Al: YES!!!!!!! Ed: It was only a warm up, I don’t think it was that good. Dave: Go listen to it! *Ed came in and asked to listen to his solo* Me: Babe that was crazy!! Ed: That’s what the guys are saying too. I have to listen to it. *After Ed listened to it, and everybody’s mouth was hanging open* Ed: Its ok I guess. All of us: Ok?? It was fantastic!! Dave: We gotta put this on our album! Ed: ok. What should we name it? Me: How about Eruption? It sounded like a crazy eruption to me! Ed: Ok. Mike: This is gonna be a great song! Al: No kidding man! *After the recording was finished and Ed and I got home* Me: That guitar solo you played today was outstanding! Ed: Really? I didn’t think it was that good. I’m surprised the guys wanted to put it in the album. Me: I don’t blame them, it was crazy! Ed: I’m glad you liked it babe. If you like it, then I’m happy too. Ed smiled at me and then kissed me. Ed: I love you Beth.