Komori x (gender-neutral)Reader

⚠️WARNING⚠️
This one-shot contains a panic attack description and a generally dark storyline. Komori isn't a soft boy in this one. Reader discretion is advised.
════════════════════════════

The scenery flies past me. My bare feet painfully stomp the ground as I flee. Behind me, a shadow lurks, rising from the shadows and barren trees.

I can hear his voice, sweetly calling me back.

Where are you, my little lamb~

I cry, my eyes searching for an escape, anywhere to hide from him. My throat is tight; I can barely breathe. My heart beats so loudly it drums in my ears.

Please. Go away. Leaveleave meleave me!

l e a v e !

I yelp, and suddenly I'm falling. I taste dirt and mud. I curl up, shaking. My hands are tingling, and my knees are scratched and bloody. My mind spins as I cry, hands planted on my ears, but why? Why can I still hear him?

Come back, little lamb. Your little Toya is worried about you. What if you get hurt? I don't like it when you're hurt. It pains me to see you suffer.

"Please..."

The suffocating pressure on my throat snuffs my voice. I can't say a word. Leaves crunch under footsteps, and the noise stops dead before me. I can't breathe. My throat hurts so bad.

I told you not to run, little lamb. Why didn't you listen? You're all bloody and bruised. You know what will happen if you leave me.

No, no, no, please. Please don't. Don't. I won't run. I promise I won't run. I'll stay. I won't move. Please. I promise. I promise. I promise—

—I cough, gasping as he picks me up. I cling to him for dear life. I don't let go. I'm scared. I open my mouth to talk. No words come out, only a meek whimper.

He kisses my forehead, gently holding me in his arms and whispers comforting words.

I'm here, he tells me. You're safe now.

Safe.

Toya is here.

My tremors lessen, and the intense numbness in my extremities fades. My breaths even out and deepen, allowing my head to clear up.

I'm safe.

"Komori," I whisper.

"I'll keep you safe, Y/n. You have nothing to fear."

***

I met Komori during my senior college year. My friend dragged me to our school's volleyball tournament mentioning it would be the perfect time to, and I quote, "stalk fine men without suspicion."

I was already social and used to her absurdities, so I followed her. While I actually paid attention to the game, she spent her time whispering all the obscenities she'd perform with each boy she favoured. I still wish I could forget everything she told me that day.

"Y/n, that guy is looking your way a lot."

"Hm? Who?"

"Number thirteen. Look."

I followed her finger and saw a boy with short eyebrows and a soft smile waving at me. I waved back, surprised he found me in the crowd. But I didn't think much of it. My friend was loud, and he could've been looking for the fangirl screeching at the top of her lungs. Who knows?

To my astonishment, he came looking for me after the game. My friend practically shoved me into him so we could talk.

"I couldn't help but notice you up in the stands. I wanted to ask for your number."