Ushijima x (female)Reader

❚•TITLE•❚
『• friends? •』

AUTHOR'S POV

Ushijima Wakatoshi and L/n Y/n.

The gap between you isn't wide, nor is it long. And yet, only the extreme would force one of you to cross.

INCOMING CALL . . . . Semi      
[ACCEPT]    DECLINE

F: What do you want, Semi?
S: Don't tell me you're still practicing.
F: The coach said I could stay after if I wanted.
S: You're overworking yourself.
F: I'm fine. You're worrying too much.
S: I'm heading to the gym. You better have put away the equipment by then.
F: But I need more practice.
S: What you need is rest. Put the equipment away. Better yet, leave it.

"I'll take care of it while I'm here."

CALL ENDED       📳       [📴]

You tossed your phone in your bag. "You worry too much about me."

Semi sighed, taking down the net. "I don't worry enough."

He helped you tidy things up and pushed you to the showers. You were done in a flash, walking back to the dorms in Semi's company. After scolding you for the umpteenth time, you went to your room. Your roommate was already fast asleep. You checked your phone for messages before passing out in your dream world.

Your blank dream world.

The next morning, you robotically woke up as soon as the clock struck 5 AM. You slipped on your running clothes, and shoes and were out of the dorm. You started your run.

1 lap

2 laps

And now you were on your third. Halfway there, you met your rival. Nothing out of the ordinary.

"Ushijima."

"L/n."

A nod and you were both back into it. After years of forced cooperation, there was a sense of respect between you. You hardly spent time together, let alone talk, but you would always acknowledge each other's presence. It was the way things worked for you. But something this morning was different.

"How long have you been running for?"

"Huh?" You stopped being caught off guard by his question. You were surprised he was talking to you.

"You're exhausted," he said.

"I'm not," you replied, restarting your jog. He didn't say another word. Things went back to their comfortable silence. Nothing to worry about.

TIME SKIP

"Amazing form as usual. You can take a break, Y/n."

"Hai, Taichō."

You sat on the bench, drained and sweating. You looked blankly at the floor trying to stop the spinning in your head. When it didn't, you downed some water in hopes it would help.