Atsumu x (gender-neutral)Reader

"If you listened to me, none of this would've happened," I sigh, rubbing my aching temples. Atsume yelps, hitting his head on the way out of the hatch under the ship's control panel.

"You don't have to be so mad about it." He rubs his head, wiping an old oil stain on his cheek. "I got you the first time."

"No, I don't think you did. And I don't think you understand how bad the situation is." I cross my arms, and my frown creases further. "You completely busted the engine. Not to mention, we don't have any way of contacting the main ship since our coms are down–"

"I'll fix the signal light; That's not so bad."

"Atsumu we're heading for an asteroid belt."

He blinks and tilts his head, waiting for an explanation. I bring up a holographic map from my watch's viewport.

"You see the yellow star?"

"Yeah."

"That's where Kita is waiting for our shipment."

"And where are we?"

I bring up a different location, directly south of our destination. Atsumu frowns.

"We're nowhere near the asteroid belt."

"The engine jump shifted us east; we're no longer tracking straight north, and unless I can find a functional booster to complete the engine loop, we are, and I say this politely, fucked."

He's silent. I stand, dismissing the image. "Get why I'm still mad?"

"...Sorry."

"Just fix the wiring here." I ruffle my hair, stressed and honestly over the whole situation. "I'll be in the storage unit if you need anything."

***

Tsumu and I met in less-than-favourable conditions. We were both assigned to a team tasked to rescue our crewmates on one of our space stations. A fire started in one of the stabilizing boosters, and it exploded. It was an old ship, and things quickly spiralled out of control.

By the time we were suited up and sent away, we barely knew each other's names. We arrived at a hellstorm with the landing deck too damaged for landing. I stabilized it using the ship's arms, and we got everyone on board. We were ready to leave until Atsumu reported one person missing.

As the only person who knew the station's layout, Aran sent me to accompany Atsumu. I left Suna in charge of steering the ship.

Atsumu and I descended in the firestorm and wasted no time. I thought it would be an easy recovery. Find the control room, get our guy and run out. Simple. We arrived at the control room, and it was on lockdown. Atsumu overrides the system and a fire roars at us. I pushed us down in time to avoid a direct hit.

"What the hell!"

"Something must've happened after he locked himself in."

Atsumu looked past me. "Do we risk it?"

"We confirm ID and get out of here."

As we made our way in, our bodies immediately dripped with sweat, even with our suit's cooling measures working at maximum capacity. Thankfully, we found the crewmate relatively quickly. But he wouldn't be alive long if we didn't hurry.

Atsumu carried him, and we bolted out of there. We returned to the ship in one piece, with our crewmate threading the line between life and death. Atsumu went up first, and I waited on the dock. But the ground shook, and I, of course, collapsed. Explosions fired everywhere on the station, rocking the ship, still attached to the dock.