Umeda x (female)Reader

┏»»——♡——««┓
Flashback in italic
┗»»——♡——««┛

Index
(f/f): favourite ice cream flavour

⚠️WARNING⚠️
This one-shot's theme is death, the loss of a loved one. Reader discretion is advised. Also, apologies if anyone finds this ill-written. I haven't experienced loss, but I still wanted to try and write something surrounding that idea. I know and understand that people mourn differently, I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea and think well that's not how it is.

✦TITLE✦
ᴼ⚘✦⚘ okay ⚘✦⚘ᴷ

AUTHOR'S POV

"Where are you going?" Shirabu asked, not looking from his notes. Umeda flinched.

"I have to meet up with someone."

"Again? That's the third time this week," Yunohama noted. "Who are you meeting up with?"

"Just a friend," Umeda answered, brushing his hand through his hair. "Look, I can't keep them waiting. Have fun."

He left without letting anyone say a word. Shirabu didn't care and neither did Taichi. Yunohama on the other hand was worried that his friend would be unsettled every time he came back.

TIME SKIP

"Umeda, this is unacceptable! Why can't you focus!"

"I'm sorry, coach. I'll do better."

Washijō already had enough of Umeda's inability to concentrate.

"You no longer need to attend practice."

"But coach—"

"My words are final. You may leave."

Umeda clenched his fist but didn't talk back.

"Hai."

He took off his jersey and left under the bewildered look of his teammates. They certainly noticed his lack of attention during recent practices, but they never thought it would lead to this. Yunohama started going after him but froze at the coach's words.

"Your attendance will not be required after you leave."

Yunohama smiled and removed his jersey as well. He gave a deep bow to the coach and his teammates.

"Thank you for letting me experience volleyball to such a high level. I'll be taking my leave."

The click of the closing door snapped everyone back to reality. The practice resumed with a tense atmosphere. The boys tried shaking off the uncomfortable feeling that settled in the gym. But it was clear that they felt bad for the two players who were unjustly dismissed.

Yunohama managed to catch up to Umeda. He comforted the boy who was still shocked by the events that unfolded. They changed and turned in their uniforms. With a solemn look, the other boys sent them off. Semi told them if they wished to return, he would help. Yunohama looked at Umeda, who was slightly smiling.

"Thank you Semi-san but...I don't think we're coming back."

Semi understood and told them they could still come by to visit. The two ex-players left feeling a lot better than the first walk out of the gym. Yunohama didn't want to ruin the mood but he needed to know.